Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
limping 9 wk puppy

Any ideas on the possible causes of limping (front) in a 9 week old puppy? TIA.

Re: limping 9 wk puppy

Injury, pano, fracture, pulled muscle, broken toenail, etc. etc. A vet would know.

How long has he been limping? Does he play alone? With other puppies? Adults? Do you have ticks in your area? Is he using all fours? Just his gait is off?

I think that in a 9 week old pup - it is usually soft tissue injury. Crate rest him for a day and don't let him play too hard. See how he is in a day?

Could be elbow dysplasia. Get an xray.

Re: Re: limping 9 wk puppy

Such negatiivty, with a pup that young I don't think ED would show up at that age, sounds more like the pup got injured playing with the littermates.
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Could be elbow dysplasia. Get an xray.

Re: Re: Re: limping 9 wk puppy

We too thought it was from playing with the litter mates. This puppy is the keeper and the litter mates have been gone over 1 week so she has been resting that long with no improvement.

How long has she been limping? Sounds like she was limping prior to them going home? Have you tried to keep her a little quiet? Or is she romping around possibly re-injuring a soft tissue injury (if that's what it is)?

Re: Re: Re: Re: limping 9 wk puppy

If she strained or sprained something it may take up to 8 or 10 weeks to heal...no different than us, is she bearing weight on it or is it hot? I have a little girl that climbed over the play pen and got caught up and she was gimpy for a few weeks, fine now.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

We too thought it was from playing with the litter mates. This puppy is the keeper and the litter mates have been gone over 1 week so she has been resting that long with no improvement.

I also had a pup very young, approx 10-12 weeks limping, was ED!!

Hopefully it's nothing more then puppy play in the OP's case. GL

Not negativity -- fact. ED CAN show up at that age, particularly if it is FCP. Roughhousing with other pups is enough to manifest it, although it would have shown up regardless.

Anon, please keep us posted on what you learn, and good luck. I hope it's nothing.

yes, I had an ED appear early at 10-12 weeks. We thought the same thing, that it was too early to be ED. We were wrong.

Chances are it's not elbow dysplasia. Probably an injury - from another pup, getting a paw stepped on or toe caught in a crate, falling, thorn in the paw, whatever. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days, or if it's really severe, a trip to the vet is in order.