Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot spots

Any suggestions to clear them up? My boy swims in pool everyday took him to vet he gave me shampoo and Simplicef tabelts for a week? Spots are on the back of his neck?

Re: Hot spots

First, keep him out of the water for a couple of weeks so that the area can dry out. Shave a large area around, and including, the core of the hotspot. Gentocin or Hydrogen Peroxide can help to dry out the area; NeoPredef is also good for drying out/healing. Once it's scabbing over, I just use Neosporin to heal the area up.

I haven't seen a hotspot in several years, but have had two this summer on dogs. Heat and humidity have been exceptionally high in our area this year, so I'm guessing that a lot of people are seeing hotspots who maybe haven't seen any for a while.

Good luck.

Re: Re: Hot spots

Be sure to take collars off of dogs after swimming. A wet nylon collar can trap moisture against the skin causing a hot spot in some cases....

Domoboro (sp?) solution works well. It is in powder form when you buy it - mix with water and apply. It is drying. What really works well is just plain alcohol. Seems harsh, but it works faster than anything else, and you don't have to shave..

Believe it or not two things that can work on hotspots are Listerine and Pepto Bismol. I amm not really sure why they work, but they do. One of my vets put me onto this.

Re: Re: Hot spots

Thanks for info wull try your suggestions

Dr. Nylers Blue Coat or Scarlet Oil. Works beautifully, looks awful, but better than shaving a bald spot on your dog, spray it on heavy the first day or 2, wear a rubber glove and work into the skin and hair, do it OUTSIDE and in old clothes, trust me!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Any suggestions to clear them up? My boy swims in pool everyday took him to vet he gave me shampoo and Simplicef tabelts for a week? Spots are on the back of his neck?