Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UKC Questions

I'm thinking of doing some UKC showing in addition to AKC, as I've heard it's a lot of fun. However, I've read the FAQ on the UKC page, but it really didn't help much in explaining how points are awarded.

I've been told dogs need some number of majors, but don't know if it's 2 or 3 and how many dogs it takes to make a major. Anyone know? Does it change according to the Division you're in, or do they have divisions?

How many dogs or bitches do they have to defeat to get any points? How are the points added if they reach group level? Anything else I should know?

If you can pass any info along, either here or to me at tarkom@gmail.com, I would really appreciate it!

~Karlene

Re: UKC Questions

Does this answer your quetion? And yes, its fun, VERY laid back, and no professional handlers (unless you are the owner).

UKC Conformation Point Schedules

Schedule 1. Breeds without varieties
Regular Class
(Puppy, Junior, Senior, Adult or Breeder/Handler 10
Best Male 15
Reserve Best Male 0
Best Female 15
Reserve Best Female 0
Best of Winners 10

Order of judging.
Regular class males are judged before regular
class females.
Regular class males:
Puppy, Junior, Senior, Adult, Breeder/Handler
Best Male
Reserve Best Male
Regular class females:
Puppy, Junior, Senior, Adult, Breeder/Handler
Best Female
Reserve Best Female
Best of Winners
Champion
Grand Champion
Best of Breed

Requirements for UKC Champion Title
A minimum of 100 championship points
Points must be earned under at least three different UKC licensed Judges, and
Win three Best Male/Female (or higher) classes at three different shows with competition under three different UKC licensed Judges.

Taken from: http://www.ukcdogs.com/ConformationRules.htm

Hi Karlene,

Yes, UKC can be fun to go to and participate in. The titles, depending on your area and amount of competition can be relatively easy to get or likewise can be very difficult.

The dog needs to have three competitive wins. UKC folks refer to a competitive win as a "major". This means they have to at least go winner's male or winner's female with one other male or female competing three times under three different judges. If you are the only male and win winner's male, it will not count as a competition unless you go Best of Winner's over the winner's female. If you go Best of Breed over a CH or GCH, that would count as a competitive win. If you are the only dog of your breed at that show and you place in the group over at least one other dog, then your win would count as a competitive win. However, you only get one competitive win per show no matter how many times you win over competition.

Hope this helps!

Dianne

You only accumulate points at the breed level. No other points are awarded for group placements. You can only gain a competitive win or "major" if you win or place over other dogs.

If you win your class you get 10 points, if you go winners you get 15 points, if there are males and females and you go Best of Winners you get another 10 points. So depending on the amount of competition, you can get anywhere from 25-35 points per show.

Re: Re: UKC Questions

you dont get points for a group placement but if you place 1-4 in the group, beating other dogs, it does count as a competition win.
If you win 4th, to get a comp win there must be at least 6 dogs in the group.

Thanks for the information, and sorry for my tardiness in thanking you. My home was struck by lightning for the 2nd time in less than 2 months, and it blew my internet. (again!)

~Karlene