Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies eye stain

I have seven week old puppies. One of the yellows eyes keep watering and making a stain. Just had the eyes checked by an opthamoligist and everything was fine. seems to have started since the exam. That was five days ago. Any ideas as to why she is doing this? Will she outgrow it?
Thanks for any input.

Re: Puppies eye stain

I had a litter of pups CERF'd at 6 weeks and 3 weeks later one owner called and said the pup had entropion.
It started the way yours has, with the constant tearing of the eye.

Sometimes the immature tear ducts don't work well. It could be that. Can you see if any of the lashes are rubbing on the eye? The opth. we use explained that when the eye gets irritated, (ie from lashes rubbing) the eye itself actually draws itself in. This only leads to more irritation. I would see if the reg. vet might give you some ointment if you think it is irritated.

What type of bedding are they kept on? I've seen "watery" eyes in babies related to shavings in the puppy pen or excess dust around the area. In that case, it often resolves if you just put them on old towels or shredded paper and change the bedding often.