Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
heartgard

At what age do you start giving puppies heartgard? How early is it safe?

Re: heartgard

I use Ivomec injectable form, orally...86 cc of Propalene Glycol or corn oil and 14 cc Ivomec, makes 100 cc solution, dosage is 1 cc per 10 pounds body weight for adults or 1/10 cc per pound puppy, must use a TB syringe for dosing puppies...I give at 5, 7 and 9 weeks, then once a month thereafter..THIS IS WHAT I DO, I have NEVER had a problem with this regimine. You need to research and know side effects, etc. if you are not experienced. Please research ALL forms of meds, wormers etc. to know what you are giving your babies...even if prescribed by a vet...you must know side effects and what to do in the event of a reaction to anything.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

At what age do you start giving puppies heartgard? How early is it safe?

Re: Re: heartgard

This is a quesiton for your veterinarian, not this forum. You can also look at the web site for the manufacturer of the product to get the label information.

MK

Re: Re: Re: heartgard

Just a thought - I use the heartgard for my baby pups and at about 5-6 months switch them over to the ivomec solution I use on my big dogs, I never got comfortable with the Ivomec on the babies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: heartgard

Same here. I use Ivomec once they hit that 50 pound mark, but I just don't feel comfortable giving it to younger ones. If I remember correctly, when I took my singleton in at 8 weeks for his exam, the vet gave him the hearthard chewable at that point.