Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone ever use Ciprofloxacin with their Labs?

Do any of you have experience using this drug with your Labs? Our new vet prescribed it for my boy since the Cephalexin wasn't doing the trick for a hot spot. I can't find any info on the web about it.
TIA!

Re: Anyone ever use Ciprofloxacin with their Labs?

You might want to search for Cipro rather than the full name Ciprofloxacin.

Years ago I did a couple rounds of Cipro on my male who had severe atopic allergies. His skin was a disaster and we tried everything under the sun but had to use Cipro for the skin infections. He did not have any negative reactions to the medication and it did clear up the infection. This had to have been 8 or so years ago.

Cipro is a human medication (used to be used in Anthrax scares, not sure if it still is) and unless prices have fallen it's quite expensive. You may want to consider some comparison shopping to find a good price. I took my hand written prescriptions from the vet to a local pharmacy that had much better pricing. It was no problem filling a k-9 Rx there.

Good luck with that hot spot.

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: Anyone ever use Ciprofloxacin with their Labs?

Thanks much Kim!I appreciate the info!

Re: Re: Re: Anyone ever use Ciprofloxacin with their Labs?

I had a couple of girls with severe ear infections. This was the only thing that worked to clear it up. Used topical Baytril and cipro oral.

Re: Anyone ever use Ciprofloxacin with their Labs?

Ciprofloxacin is very similar to Enrofloxacin, which is Baytril. They are both very broad-spectrum and are used for resistent infections, i.e., urinary tract infections, skin infections. Because this class of antibiotics is very broad-spectrum, they should not be reached for first, as you can actually set up some resistent bacteria.
I've learned over and over again, the best antibiotic to use is the (cheapest) one that the bacteria you have cultured is sensitive to. Without doing a culture, you're just guessing...I got so yelled at by the surgeon who did surgery on my bitch because I reached for the cephalexin when it got a bit infected. Okay, I was wrong, but I already had it at home and I was trying not to add to my $1000 bill!

30 pills for $4.00!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=546834

Cipro is on the list that Walmart and Target have....30 pills for $4.00. My wonderful caring vet told me about this and has been giving me prescriptions when needed. We have also been using moloxicam rather than deramax...which is on the list. Amoxi is also. Doxicycline also!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Do any of you have experience using this drug with your Labs? Our new vet prescribed it for my boy since the Cephalexin wasn't doing the trick for a hot spot. I can't find any info on the web about it.
TIA!