Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show quality Pup Price

What the average price for the show quality pup?Lets say this pup is 2 month old.

Re: Show quality Pup Price

$1500 around here.

Are you new to the breed? If so, have you had other breeds and finished them?
Do you want this pup without a co-ownership? Or puppies/services back?
Do you have references or a relationship with the breeder?
Is the breeder/are you knowledgable enough about the breed to know what is "show quality"?
Where is the breeder located?
What titles does the bitch have?

If you were inquiring of me, that pup would be "priceless," but I don't sell show quality pups. I keep them for myself or co-own with breeders I've known for years!

I've seen "show quality pups" sold on full registration from several breeders [who I know] that should never have been sold as such. But the buyer didn't know the difference and the breeder laughed all the way to the bank!

If you are new, I will recommend that you join a Labrador Club in your area, meet several breeders, visit their homes/kennels and get to know the pedigree. Ask to co-own a dog and get guidance from someone whose breeding program you admire and respect.

Best of luck! Sorry I didn't answer your question, but without more information, it's not possible to assess.

Re: Re: Show quality Pup Price

I don't believe this person asked for a speech...Sheesh!

I keep the pick(s) for myself. Anything else, "show quality" or not, sells for $900.

Where are you located? I haven't bought a pup to show in the last few years, but had no problem at the time paying $700 + the ~$200 for shipping. I think I'm running out of money for this sport if I'm now looking at needing to pay $1500 purchase price for a new puppy!

I agree with "Puppy Prices".........BUT it will depend on the area of the country AND whom you are "dealing" with.

Some folks treat everyone as equal, some will get more $$$$ initially and/or ask for puppies back etc.

I am "giving" the pk bitch from my current litter to someone serious about showing, they've proven that by showing their current dogs. I ask for a puppy back if this bitch works out. So a trade, if the bitch doesn't work out then I expect nothing.

Puppy Prices,

After your pick, do you sell those "show quality" or not pups for $900 on full registration?

My pups go for a little more than that, which is going rate in my area. But, I too keep the best and sell the rest for the same price, but on limited registration. Many of the pups that I've sold as pets could compete in the ring, but they are not good enough IMO to carry my prefix in the ring if that makes sense.

There are some breeders out there who will sell almost an entire pet litter as show quality and many a newbie has been duped!

My original advice was to seek out a local breeder and mentor and I'll stick to it!

Re: Re: Re: Show quality Pup Price

I sell my show potential pups for the same as my pet pups $1500.00 I try to keep them myself or only sell to breeders that I know or pet people that I have history with.

She's doing a survey not asking for advice.
I agree....sheesh.

I sell all pups the same - whether they're for show or pet. The same amount of work goes into all the puppies. I'm also picky about where the show pups go.

I would say from $1,000 to $1,200, same as the pets!
Don't really know how anyone could sell one for more claiming show quality. That is a big guess. I would try to co own a good pup. Think you would end up getting a better pup. I keep show prospect,
the rest is Limited registration. Funny some sell the whole litter for show pups. A joke.

Why there is a diferense in price in diferent parts of the country? Are the breeden is diferent in the weat from the east,so a Hyspire lab and a Tabatta lab should have diferent price because in diferent parts of the country?

Of course there is, just like houses cost different amounts in different areas...

Don't pay more than the average price for a well bred Labrador in your area. In my area that would be about $1,500 (pet or show potential) So much can change in an 8 week old in the following two years. The smartest thing I ever did after a few mistakes was to buy an older dog as my foundation. Now this dog I did pay more for because the finished product was right before my eyes, as well as having the clearances already done. The dog I bought was two by the way...

In my last litter, I kept the pick and sold two pups on full registration. It was a nice litter but who knows if any will turn out. The pups sold on full registration went to people I know. The pups were nice but not the pick. One is in a hunting home that will let me show him if he turns out. This home has another dog from my mentor and has no interest in breeding. The other pup is with a friend who has been showing in breed, obedience and field for years. I never guaranteed these pups were show quality but have no problem if they would like to show them. If the pups do not turn out they are in performance homes that will work them anyway. I just want good homes for my puppies. The rest of the litter went out on limited registration, several to hunting homes.

I am with you on this one, all my puppies are sold for the same price regardless of show quality or not, after all no one can guarantee any one pup will make the grade.

Over the past couple of years, I've paid $1,500, $1800, $2,000 for show prospects without co-ownerships

I always keep the pics. All my puppies go for
the same price $900.00. The best homes for
them are the pet homes. They cannot afford,
or know the difference between a pet or show
puppy. Besides, no matter what the breeding,
there is NO guarantee the pup will meet all
the clearances etc. There are so many variables.

"what I paid", that's what I have paid too, north east, co ownerships, lovely pups. Of course never a guarantee, but...

I have piad $1,500 to $2,000 for show potential pups, and I have charged $1,000 to $1,500 when placing my own show potential pups.

Two yrs ago I bought a bitch pup.......Breeder is a Judge, pups Dam is Major pt'd, Sire a BISS Winner. I paid 800.$, no co-own or strings OR gaurantee.

I wear "big girl panties" and understand the gamble we all take when keeping/raising a puppy. My girl has cleared OFA and finished her Can. Ch., I am happy

Good Lord - what are stud fees in "your area of the country" if puppies go for up to $2000???