Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Split Heat

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to deal with a split heat? I've never encountered a split heat in my girls before. I have a girl who come into heat and we bred her on day 11,13 and 15 on her cycle (no progesterone's need all natural breedings) On Day 15 of her cycle she had no more blood. NOW 10day later from day 15 she is bleeding again??

What has been your experience(S)with split heats and how did you breed to them?
Pete

Re: Split Heat

To me that doesn't sound like a split heat. When most girls get close to ovulation the dark red blood turns to a straw color and sometimes they even stop bleeding altogether.
We just had our first experience with a true split heat. My girl came into season in early April and had totally stopped by day 7. She never allowed anyone to mount her. We did progesterone and she never rose above baseline. She then came back into heat in July and it was a normal heat that lasted 21 days.

Re: Re: Split Heat

It may be implantation bleeding, your girl may have conceived

Re: Split Heat

That is not what I understand a split heat to be either. Split heat as I was taught is when they come into heat, bleed for x number of days, stop completely for x number of days, and start again. This is why progesterone testing is so important. Pending how she cycled, you may have still gotten her.

Re: Re: Split Heat

The bleeding could be a sign of implantation as suggested before, OR it could be a misscarrage. That would be another possible explanation of the bleeding. I would keep your fingers crossed and when she's far enough from the time of breeding have a blood test done to check for pregnancy--just beware that they are not 100% accurate.