Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yellow Lab Painting on E-Bay For Rescue!

An artist named Sheila Wedegis has donated a painting of Darren, who is a rescued yellow lab in Heart of Texas Lab Rescue. The artist is auctioning it on E-Bay to benefit Darren, who is in need of hip replacement surgery. One hip is worse than the other, but both hips will need to be replaced, to the tune of $3600 per hip. Like a stoic lab, he showed very little sign that he had a major problem inside. X-rays revealed that his hips are so bad that he cannot be adopted until they are replaced.

100% of the proceeds will go to HOTLR. Someone is also offering matching funds, so there will be a separate donation to Darren made in the amount of the winning bid!

You can see Darren on HOTLR's web site, www.hotlabrescue.org

Check out the painting here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Labrador-Retriever-Yellow-dog-Lab-portrait-oil-original_W0QQitemZ150151468259QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20135QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

If that is too much to copy, just go to Sheila's store and look for the painting of the yellow lab named Darren. http://stores.ebay.com/Sophies-Art-Gallery

Ladies & gentlemen, start the bidding!

Re: Yellow Lab Painting on E-Bay For Rescue!

While I absolutely commend the work of rescue - it's hard, often thankless work.

Now, I'm sure this dog is a very sweet dog, but I'll play devil's advocate and wonder if spending $7200 on one dog is the best use of the limited rescue funds that are raised. Many of us have dealt with bad hips and some have elected to euthanize dogs whose hips are that bad. I just wonder if that money would be better used helping 20 other dogs? Especially if you said he was "slightly favoring" one rear leg - perhaps the best thing to do is to keep him as comfortable as possible? Surgeons always want to do surgery - it's what they do...

Don't flame me - I'm just asking a valid question.

Re: Re: Yellow Lab Painting on E-Bay For Rescue!

It is certainly a valid question, but should not people really should be allowed to donate their resources, spare or otherwise, where their hearts' dictate. I am sure whenever someone donates to a charity, there is always an issue as to whether that charity is the best, most productive, most efficient in their use of funds, etc.. Since everyone's priorities are different in what is most important to them, they should be able to give their resources accordingly. Just presenting the other side to your question.

Yes, you are absolutely right - people should be able to donate as their conscience dictates. My post was pointed more towards the rescue itself rather than contributors. We all try to do the best we can for our dogs, but double-hip-replacements are out of the realm of possibility for many/most pet owners and I wonder why so much in the way of resources is devoted to one dog's possible outcome - there are no guarantees with this invasive surgery - the dog could be worse off or even dead after surgery. So...there's no "right" answer. Just food for thought.

The problem is, most people don't open up their pocketbooks until they can put a face to a dog. In all likelihood, they will get much more than what they need to help this dog, so a little extra to spend on other dogs in their care. This is from resources that they might not have had otherwise, as people like to cheer for the underdog and will flock to the aid of this dog. They will all want to adopt him and there will be a flurry of activity as the other dogs will get adopted out quicker.
I know what you are saying about the money but I don't think they are taking money away from the other dogs.

Money isn't being taken away from other dogs. He won't get the surgery until the money is raised separately for him. They're managing his pain with medication until then. And yes, a special case does bring out people who wouldn't normally contribute to the general fund, and that is why something like this is possible. Right now, there has been almost enough money contributed to fund half of his first hip replacement. If other dogs had to suffer so this one dog could have new hips, it simply wouldn't happen. Rescues have to be practical, or they won't survive.

I am sorry I can not recall all the details but a good example of this was a preg gal saved who had two broken legs. I read a recent update about how wonderful it was that enough people contributed to get her surgery done and that there was considerable extra that was then donated to another fund.
In a perfect world, and I do mean "WORLD" we would all take our "extra" resources and distribute them in a way that made sense for the good of all. I love art, know it benefits many in many ways, but could you imagine what one uber wealthy persons multi million support of say an art gallery could do for any animal or humanitarian group?
It is just how the world is at this point in time and those who are in need of aide have to find the best ways to work within the confines of a very PR oriented reality.

For those lucky enough to be the poster children/animals/people, I don't begrudge them, but hope that the organizations behind them are wise, fair, and intelligent enough to try to elicit a bit of awareness and education along the fund raising road.
Annie