Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elderly Puppy Buyers

How do you feel about selling to elderly pet buyers? I mean like in their 80's seem to be in good health and have had Labs before but the age worries me..is age a valid concern?

Re: Elderly Puppy Buyers

I encourage elderly buyers to find an older puppy or adult. A young puppy can sometimes be too much energy for an elderly person.

If I do decide to place a dog with an elderly person, I make sure that I have a family or multiple family contacts to make sure I am contacted and the pup/dog is returned to me if anything were to happen to the owner.

I sold a puppy this past Spring to a couple, where the gentleman was turning 80. They have another breed and have had Labs. They know if they ever need a home for the dog that I will take it back. I don't see a problem with it. They are very good with their dogs and enjoy them very much..

I also have sold a pup to elderly folks and have not had a problem. I also have an agreement that microchip id goes in my name too and I always get contacted if I need to re-house the pup and I talk openly about "what if". But I would definitely NOT age discriminate. We will be older one day too and I hate the idea of someone doing that to me if I were able to handle a pup.. JMO

Re: Re: Elderly Puppy Buyers

I've sold a puppy to an older couple. They are very active, had labradors before, take excellent care of their dogs and have grown children who I've met and are willing to take the dog. They all also understand that I will take the dog back anytime.

I sold a puppy to a family friend(79) a couple of years back. That puppy went thru obedience, and passed his CGC,and his TDI test.
The family has it in writting that if anything happens to Dad, the dog comes back, but they also know that with his TDI, he can visit if need be in the nursing home. The gentleman went thru triple bypass not long ago, and the only thing that got him back out of that hospital bed was knowing that his boy was waiting for him at home..
when he did get home, he changed his will making it official that the dog was mine if anything happened.. He told me when he picked out his boy that he knew this was his last one, but of all my puppy homes, I think that this friend needed that dog more than most.

Re: Re: Elderly Puppy Buyers

Since I have reservations about myself, I have the same reservations for elderly breeders. They would have to have rock solid backup whom I would be in touch with directly. Everything would have to be written in stone.

I recently sold a year-old girl to an older gentleman who had recently lost his wife. He hadn't had a dog in many years due to his wife's allergies, but badly wanted a companion dog and he immediately bonded with this girl. As we were discussing that I would always take the dog back if he couldn't keep her, etc. and talking about his daughters' interest in her, we realized that he and I are the same age! Yikes! When did I become "an elderly lady"?