Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC Conditional Registration

I am left scratching my head abit at this news.....

AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB CONDITIONAL REGISTRATION

New York, NY – The American Kennel Club® Conditional Registration program is now available for any AKC®-registered dog whose parent, through DNA testing, is found to be unidentifiable. Rather than canceling the registrations of the individual dog, all of its littermates and all of their offspring, AKC will change affected dogs’ registration to the conditional status.

The conditional status will be clearly noted on the registration or pedigree of the unknown dog, as well as all progeny for three generations, with the letter Q starting the AKC registration number. Conditional status will only be granted in cases where the dog is believed to be purebred, but a registered parent is found to be incorrect.
“The Conditional Registration program will foster better relationships with dog owners who discover that there is an unidentified ancestor in their purebred dog’s pedigree,” said Thomas Sharp, Assistant Vice President of Compliance. “Now these owners will not be penalized with a revoked AKC registration and the loss of a majority of its benefits. For example, a dog with Conditional registration may still participate in any event in which ILP dogs may participate, including Obedience, Agility, and Rally.”

Conditional registration also offers informed breeders the ability to keep these dogs and their offspring in a breed’s gene pool. To register a litter out of a sire and dame with conditional registration, both parents must be DNA-profiled. After three generations of DNA-profiled parents, the registrations will revert to regular for the litter in the fourth generation. This protocol is in line with the acceptance of imported dogs with three generation pedigrees from the country of origin.

For more information visit: http://www.akc.org/condreg or contact the AKC DNA Department at: dna@akc.org.

Re: AKC Conditional Registration

The more I think about this! How it affects the whole silver debate! Or how it would essentally say it is ok for stuff like breeding to a newf to add bone and coat. Just take it 3 gen out and you are back to 'purebred' in the akc's eyes.

I think what they are saying is that if you have a dog that was found to have the incorrect parent, usually done when the AKC goes out on field inspections of "volume" breeders using DNA testing, that instead of cancelling the registrations, they will register the dog with the letter Q in the registration to label the offspring as questionable. I doubt this will affect anyone who is breeding Silver Labs as the dog that introduced the dilute gene occured many generations ago. Silver breeders already have full registration. Does this mean we should now accept this color? I beleive that is an individual choice. I do not condone the perpetuation of this color as I breed to maintain the intergrity of the breed. But I do believe that if this registration was in place when the first silvers were found (as some silver breeders were suspended from AKC because their dogs failed DNA testing) that we would be able to better indentify the dilute gene by looking at the pedigree and seeing dogs registered with a Q. Does this make it easier for breeders to create more "fad" colors and get full AKC registration in 4 generations? Absolutely. Silver breeders should now beware as ANY ONE can now create a Silver and in a few breedings, have full registration. Since it's all about the money to them, they will lose "their share of the market". LOL Would I ever breed to a pedigree that would now be indentified with a Q as being a questionable pedigree? NO WAY!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dianne

Sounds like it's time for another registry to step up to the plate.

This is just a cash cow for the AKC, so they stop having to suspend privelidges for the puppy mills.

I am liking the UKC more and more these days.

Re: Re: AKC Conditional Registration

Depends though, doesn't it?

The UKC doesn't recognize AKC limited registrations. SO are these dogs going to be registerable by the UKC, or is the UKC going to consider them unregistered at all?

What if a dog is registered with the AKC, the registration status open, the dog then registered with the UKC, then AKC turns the dog into this "conditional?" What will the UKC do in that circumstance?

What a flippin' mess registration and pedigree research will become....

The UKC will recognize an AKC limited Reg if you submit pictures of the dog in question. I have my Lab on a Limited Reg, and we have an UKC registration now,(so we can compete in obedience) you just have to do the legwork

barb

I think that what the poster was referring to was that the UKC won't HONOR the AKC Limited Registration, i.e. you can get FULL UKC registration on an AKC-LR dog, related to breeding privileges.

Canada will NOT allow full registration for an AKC-LR dog.

This has been a sticking point for many breeders in that if they sell a puppy on an AKC Limited Registration because they have evaluated the puppy and don't feel that it will be good breeding material, the owners can turn around and get a UKC registration on the same dog with no breeding restrictions. I include a clause in my puppy buyer's contract that nullifies ANY/ALL guarantees if they attempt to bypass the AKC-LR by way of filing with UKC. That, along with the spay/neuter rebate that I offer, has avoided problems for me SO FAR!

There are many breeders who are trying to get a similar "registration" set up with the UKC in terms of "non-breeding" stock. To date, I don't know what progress, if any, has been made.

Oh boy, I never even thought about someone registering with UKC or CKC just for breeding priveleges after having an AKC-LR registrataion.

This will be added to my puppy contract.

It is never ending with AKC.

The almighty dollar is still the bottom line.

Re: Re: AKC Conditional Registration

Apparently not just to the AKC, if the UKC allows full registration of an AKC-Limited Registration dog. What good does that do? Obviously there is some reason that AKC doesn't have the dog registered as "full registration." Why wouldn't UKC want to honor that wish from the previous owner/breeder of the dog? Sounds like they are just as much into the $$$ aspect as AKC or any other breed registry. What a sad mess this is to the purebred dog fancy.