Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standing Season Question?

I'm curious. How long do any of you find your bitches continue to stand after they have been bred. Say you do a chilled semen breeding, you hit the numbers right on and breed your bitch. Do you find that your girls go right out of season within a few days or do you find they continue to be hussies for another week or or more, standing and flagging at a blade of grass if it blows in the breeze?

Re: Standing Season Question?

Linda,

My girls will *maybe* stand for another day after the second breeding (I typically breed on 2 and 4 post ovulation). It sounds like you (or someone you know!)might have a girl who stood longer. Did you do a follow up progesterone after breeding to make sure she actually spiked? Once she's in diestrus, she really shouldn't have high estrogen levels that cause the flagging/hussie behavior.

Re: Re: Standing Season Question?

I've always liked to see my girls go right out of season after breeding, like within 3 days or so. Recently, however, my girls seem to stand forever after breeding. My one girl that I just bred spiked to 16ng which was during her breeding dates, I didn't do further progesterone after this day. She's on day 23 of her season and STILL flagging! Maybe I just have silly bitches

I find the girls will flag and stand for each other if one is in heat, coming out of heat, thinking about coming into heat... But for an intact boy they will usually only stand for about 3 or 4 days.

Yes, the girls will play humpy games with each other too, coming in, going out and during seasons. I like to take all my dogs together for walks in the field so I want to KNOW when my girls are out.

I have a young dog, 9 months, and I brought him out to test her this morning to see if she was done and she just stood there for him. So, I brought out one of my mature stud dogs (thinking maybe confronted with a dog who knows what he's doing she'd say no way honey) and the silly bitch flagged for him too. Now I'm not sure what she'd do if one of them actually penetrated....I'm not chancing that!

She was bred over a week ago and still flagging! Grrrrr.....

I think it depends on the individual bitch....I have one that will stand until day 28 even though she was bred ten days before !! I have had others that will stand only four or five days and that is it.....go figure !!!

last year I had a bitch that was being well shall we say a wee bit bitchy,wouldn't stand or tolerate the stud dog and I knew/asumed from her previous cycles where she should be as far as ovulation. On only one very short window of opportunity did she allow the stud to come near her without trying to bite his head off, she stood for as long as it took me to collect him and so long mister... I took her in for a progesterone that afternoon to see where she was, the vet called the next morning and said "You're too late , she is at 17", I told her not too worry I had bred her that day and I bred her the following day but Boy you hear about the males knowing down to the hour of when to breed but this girl was too much!!!
She did end up with 8 puppies( lost 4 to a uterine infection from a puppy that must have died several days before she whelped) Let's see what she does this time.

Her half sister just had a cycle where she was perpetually standing for over a week after UGH!!!