Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very Sick Labby

Very Sick Labby

I started noticing my boy vomiting last Friday. He was eating well, acting normal and his temperature was normal.

He continued to vomit a little maybe once a day but I didn’t think much of it because he had skinned a tennis ball and the vomit was clear with green fuzz in it so I figured this was the cause.

He vomited again last night and this morning more of a light colored foam and wouldn’t eat this morning. Which is so not normal for him because he’s a voracious eater.

He’s at my Vet’s now but I’m very worried. Any one seen something like this before?

I have been feeding Kirkland chicken and vegetables (all stages) mixed with Kirkland Super Premium assorted Lamb and Rice -- Chicken and Rice canned food.

He’s 3 years old.

I tried to answer all the questions that might be asked.

Worried Lab Mum

Re: Very Sick Labby

Hope you boy will be okay. I stopped giving
tennis balls to my dogs long ago. For one
thing, it takes the enamel right off their
teeth!! They also swallow them quite often.

The food should not be the problem, I have
feed Kirland for years.

Let us know how he is doing..

About 5 years ago one of my boys skinned a tennis ball and ended up with a blockage.

We had not noticed the missing tennis ball. He started throwing up and not wanting to eat. So we took him to the vet and they did an xray of his stomach and notice he had a blockage. They took him right in for surgery and removed the skin of the tennis ball.

For that reason, they only play with the tennis balls with us and all are count for before we go in.

I hope they checking him for a blockage. Keep us update.

My boy is now 8 years old and still loves to fetch his tennis ball but he never gets one to chew on.

Re: Re: Very Sick Labby

I would agree that it sounds like it may be a blockage. Hope he's alright.

Re: Re: Re: Very Sick Labby

I was at a show this weekend and my friend had her Clumber puppy there. She showed well on Sat but later in the day started getting tired. They had lauged about her and the other puppy getting a roll of duct tape and they both had it all over their selfs. Well after thinking that over, she ended up taking the Clumber to the emergency clinic and guess what? They found a blockage in her intestines. It was slowly working its way out but still made her sick. So be careful about any dog chewing up anything. If they are not theirself later on, have them check out immediately!!

I'd bet on a blockage too, but it's also possible he just picked up a virus. Either way, once diagnosed and treated he should be ok.

Good Luck!

Re: Re: Very Sick Labby

An x-ray will show if it is a blockage (or should anyway). Is the vomiting projectile? Does he have a hard time getting comfortable - up and down? If so, could be blockage. Or, could be a virus. Heard of so many viruses with the hot weather. If virus, it will run it's course but you have to withhold food and water for a while to let the stomach rest. You have him at the Vet's. Best place.

Re: Re: Re: Very Sick Labby

An xray should see it, but I have a 3y/o bitch that I have done 3 surgeries on for blockages and they have never seen it on an xray. Probably because it's always been material. Socks, cloth seat cover, seasonal panties. The symptoms sound right for a blockage. I had planned on breeding this bitch, but she's getting spayed next month.

Everything should be fine even if he has to have surgery. Keep us posted!

Donna

Re: Re: Re: Re: Very Sick Labby

Well they did an xray and it was negative and they gave him fluids and he has thus huge hump on his back now blood work will be in this afternoon still no fever and no new vomiting. No food for 24 hours and when he did vomit it was not projectile just an urp.
I'll update you as I learn more Thank you

Prayers the blood work all comes back normal and your boy is feeling his old self soon.