Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thyroid problems in bitches

I am hearing of more breeders having thyroid problems in their bitches. Do you think this problem is on the increase in our breed? Does anyone know of any holistic treatment for this problem?

Re: thyroid problems in bitches

don't know of any treatment, but I saw W. Jean Dodds, DVM speak about it several years ago. She said if the dogs had thyroid problems, then they needed to not be used in a breeding program. If the line was very important, then try to go back to the parents.

So, I'm assuming that maybe some are saying, as they, I assume, are saying with other issues, well, this is not a big deal and we've invested so much time and money and energy so we'll just use him/her anyway.

Apparently thyroid issues can present as a lot of things including behavior issues all the way through to interdigital cysts. Jean also thinks that some thyroid issues are caused by over vaccinating our dogs, so I guess one natural treatment is to use the new vaccination protocol on your dogs. NOT annual shots.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am hearing of more breeders having thyroid problems in their bitches. Do you think this problem is on the increase in our breed? Does anyone know of any holistic treatment for this problem?

Just wanted to comment on the holistic workings of this. My agility instructor has her dog on some sort of holistic/natural thyroid treatment and so far it is working.
I will see what it is tomorrow when we meet and respond back.

Re: Re: thyroid problems in bitches

Primary thyroid disease is HEREDITARY and these dogs should not be bred. There are other causes for thyroid imbalance that are not primary thyroid disease--the report from Michigan lab tells the cause and whether it is primary or not.

MK

I would check with my holistic vet first, but I have heard claims that a kelp supplement has weaned dogs off their thyroid medicines. the wholistic pet makes a fine kelp product. There is also this german product it is basically dehydrated carrots (they look like cow grain) that I have heard claims on that helping thyroid.

Unless your dogs thyroid problem is because of an Iodine deficiency (unlikely), Kelp won't help, it's just rich in Iodine.

If anyone is taking or giving Kelp, look at this:
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=75583-uc-davis-fda-arsenic