Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Define Holistic ??

Curious of everyone definition and if you ever looked up the true meaning in a dictionary ?

Re: Define Holistic ??

"(holistic) adjective: emphasizing the organic or functional relation between parts and the whole "

Whatever that means

To me the definion of 'holistic' is that the body should be viewed as a whole structure and not regarded just as a collection of individual parts. All systems within an organism are connected with one another in some way, and any imbalance may disrupt other body systems before physical signs are seen.

Many people associate holistic with 'natural' or 'organic' ingredients and more dog food companies are jumping on the holistic bandwagon without really understanding what it means. One of the dog food companies that I believe really understands and promotes 'holistic' is Solid Gold - and no, I don't feed it! (can't afford to anymore).

For me, holistic means snake oil.

Re: Re: Define Holistic ??

In doing recent research, one of the most very important things in a dog food is that is HUMAN GRADE.
Although, I do think that David Volete and friends Euk video is adorable, times have changed. Euk is NO longer a human grade food. As for us being professionals in what we do, showing and breeding dogs, in what in many ways stress our dogs immune system, it is very important to feed a humane grade food. If you want to go the holistic and organic route, that to me would entail the raw diet in my eyes. But, I think it is of the upmost importance that we all research what we feed our loved labbies.
I do rememeber the days when Iams and Euk were the best. But times have changed. And we need to AND SO do the VETS need to keep up the with the times.
There are better food out there for our dogs. Not to mention, us too.
Holisitic, well I have seen many things cured with herbs and vitiamins as opposed to anitibitics and such.
It does work. I think it is time that we have an open mind. I for one learn something new every day.
And Just as I have opended this up for discussion, I am open to friendly opions as well.
Cheers.

Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic ??

Just as a added note.........
I am no way "promoting" raw diet.
a kibble, which I consider a "fast food" for dogs would be just fine. That is what I feed.
There are plenty that are good.
Wellness, Innova, Cannidae, Solid Gold. Evo.
Just a name a few.
I am sure this will get a few of you going.
But remember one thing, you get what you pay for.
There is no way around that. And I am just trying to help.

Well, I can tell you what holistic means to me. Last summer, my 4 year old yellow girl developed terrible back pain. As far as we can figure, this was due to her injuring her hip, altering her gait as a result, and developing back spasms in response to the altered gait. After a very extensive workup the orthopedic vet told me that there was really nothing more he could do, and I should retire my girl from hunt tests and keep her on Rimadyl indefinitely. I wasn't happy with the idea of using Rimadyl long term on a 4 year old dog, so I went looking for other answers. I ended up taking my girl to a holistic vet, who treated her with accupuncture, deep tissue release massages, and Chinese herbs and holistic supplements. She started her treatments in August. My dog started feeling so well that by October we were back to training and she was loving it. By May my girl was not only working and feeling wonderful again, but she had completed her Master Hunter title.

I'm a believer.

Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic & Human Grade

Ok so now define Humane Grade and remember I'm sure we all have eaten hot dogs.....

I use the holistic approach whenever possible.

Have cured UTIs with crancaps and probiotics.

Kept my old girl comfortable with KF and arthritis from 14 1/2 to 16 with holistic supplements and regular blood work. She never showed any outward signs of KF or stress whatsoever.

At the age of 10 it was also found thru blood work that her adrenal and liver were not working up to par. Natural holistic supplements (homeopathic Glandular Stress Complex) brought her levels within normal range in 6 months and completely functioning by 1 year.

She also did not metabolize fat properly and i had trouble with her weight. Lecithin daily took care of that without a low fat "diet" food.

Cured skin allergies with natural supplements/vitamins many years ago on the same dog.

Chiroptractic care has helped my dogs when needed.

And we are true believers in magnetic therapy as well.

I too am a believer of holistic treatment

Excerpt from forward of Dr. Pitcairn's "Natural Health for Dogs and Cats"

"Holistic living is living in harmony with ourselves, each other, and with nature as a whole;it is knowing that the quality of relationships influences our state of health as much as our temperament, perceptions, genetic constitution and such. The same holds true for the health of our pets. And the more removed we and they are from nature, the more disharmony and privation, the more sickness and suffering there are in the world."

It matters not to me what others do(to each his own) but it has been my experience that the effectiveness of traditional medicines is not always what we would hope and is often no better or even sometimes worse than that of good non invasive alternative treatments such as chiropractic and herbal,etc.
Unfortunately as with anything else, there are those opportunists who sell ineffective "snake oil" remedies which have raised eyebrows and caused skeptisism. Also sadly the medical community has been very slow to embrace these practices. Probably at least partly due to income and governmental regulation issues.
This is not to say that traditional is not needed but simply that alternatives are worth looking into.
There seems to be more and more DVM's & some Md's that are either practicing a combination of Traditional and Alternative or becoming interested in the possibilities of using what are in some cases proven centuries old remedies. It is often helpful to think outside the box.

Well said. Dr. Pitcairn's book has been one of my holistic sources for years now. To answer the question, "What is human grade kibble?"...it is food that we can eat. Commercial dog food is made from rejected ingredients from the human food chain. With human grade you know you are starting with quality ingredients.

"Dr. Pitcairn's book has been one of my holistic sources for years now"

Ditto

Very simply "Good for the whole"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic & Human Grade

Yes, I am sure you and I have all eaten hot dogs.
But you and I both know they are not good for us.
God only knows what are in it. What would happen if you Lived on Hot dogs everyday? I think we all know that hot dogs just have the left over junk ........
You know that. Thats why you mentioned hot dogs.
But remember if you fed "junk" to ones body and immune system on a regular basis. As is a human eating hots dogs and captain crunch and carvel and pizza and bagels everyday. Does that make sense?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic & Human Grade

Oh, so human grade, what would be what would pass as a being fed to humans. The grade of these meats used in these foods are human grade. The same grade of meat you and I would eat. I am not surprised you are not aware of this. A lot of people are not.
Please feed your dogs a human grade food. Which means the grade of meat, meats the standards to be fed to humans. Dont our dogs deserve that?
It is not surprising that so many breeders dont know this.

Hi Karen,

Well said!!!! I am glad you helped explain it.
THank you.
And if anyone has any books, on this topic, please post them, I am always wanting to learn.
I am a firm believer you learn something new every day!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic & Human Grade

I know you promote a certain food.
What do you REALLY know about it ?
Is it Holistic?
Is it Human Grade?
Do tell, I would love to know more.
Thanks

First of all...no dog food is Human Grade. UNLESS you are feeding raw human ingredients purchased at the grocery store or a store for human consumption.

According to AFFCO and other things that go into making a dog food....ingredients can fist be labelled human grade. Once they go to the dog food plant or are deemed for dog food--they are NO LONGER human grade! In order to still maintain HUMAN GRADE they must be made in a plant that is certified for human consumption. The food then must be packaged with human consumption in mind and follow those rules. After leaving the plant it must arrive at a HUMAN GRADE distributor at which point it must arrive and be sold at a HUMAN GRADE facility!

So...that being said...you can have dog food start with human grade ingredients at the start, but once they are deemed for pet food...that label of Human grade is lost. Period.

As far as holistic:
Main Entry: ho·lis·tic
Pronunciation: hO-'lis-tik
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to holism
2 : relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts

Which I think many people have said.

Opps sorry that is AAFCO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic & Human Grade

What is your description of Holistic ?? The whole body.... well then Yes our food company along with others that have true research facilities. Our food treats the whole body from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

Natural: on dog food typically means preserved and yes our food fits that catagory also.

Human Grade: again the well known and well respected companies only use this grade of meat and have been doing this for years.

In the beginning I only asked for definitions and it is so funny how things get turned and we talk about medicine and now dog food.

You guys crack me up.

I just wanted to hear what people thought about the whole holistic theme....

I do have a 13 year old that I would be very interested in using some voo doo stuff to improve her mobility and life etc....

Thanks for the info on the books I will be looking into them.

"I do have a 13 year old that I would be very interested in using some voo doo stuff to improve her mobility and life etc.... "

If you are talking about arthritis and the like there is a lot of info at www.dogaware.com for natural supplements to improve mobility.

along with good quality hi protein and mild to moderate exercise to maintain muscle mass.

Not sure what you expected asking for a definition of holistic and human grade on a dog forum. I'd be surprised if most didn't think of dog food. As for holistic, once again, a dog forum, and the answers were relevant.

Patty.... thanks so much !!

I am so very glad to hear that this cracks you up.
Although then again, I am not at all suprised by the response.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic ??

Just like I'm not surprised that you don't have nerve to email personally or sign your name to the post !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic ??

>>What is your description of Holistic ?? The whole body.... well then Yes our food company along with others that have true research facilities. Our food treats the whole body from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Natural: on dog food typically means preserved and yes our food fits that catagory also.
Human Grade: again the well known and well respected companies only use this grade of meat and have been doing this for years.>>

You're not referring to Royal Canin as human grade are you?

check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Animal-Healing-Definitive-Holistic/dp/0345439198/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7238009-4012011?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188088252&sr=8-1

Royal Canin as well as many other foods are not human grade as many breeders are led to believe.
Maybe they are mislead or niave.
We ALL should take the time to look into this.
I even know of german shepherd breeders who feed Tripe to their dogs.
There are so many approachs who is to say what is right and what is wrong. Do what works for you.
But, do make sure that you dont feed your dog something that isnt good enough for you yourself to eat. And to me, that means human grade as well.

Here's an explanation of human grade vs. pet grade. They also have an excellent list of quality foods listed on their site.

http://www.allthebestpetcare.com/handouts/nut_humangrd.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Define Holistic ??

Here's their explanation of All Natural vs. Human Grade. I wish they had one of their stores in central Florida.

All-Natural “Premium” Diets – higher meat content and no animal by-products. Only
natural preservatives (Vitamins C and E, rosemary extract), and no artificial ingredients.
May include some ingredients not found in human foods, like corn gluten meal, cellulose
(wood fiber), or animal digests. Meats are sometimes USDA approved. Examples: APD,
Avo-Diets, Nutro, PetGuard, Precise, Sensible Choice, Wysong

Human - Quality All-Natural Diets – least processed state-of-the-art pet foods with
exclusively USDA approved ingredients, nutrient rich fruits and vegetables, antioxidants,
probiotics, and lots of extra supplements. Cooked slowly with lower heat to preserved
nutrients. Examples: California Natural, Canidae, Innova (Original & Evo) , Nature’s
Variety, Newman’s Own Organics, Organix, Pinnacle & Wellness