Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

OK I have a real problem I have had Rottis my whole life i had twin girls 3 years ago so the wife and i figured we would start showing labradors well let me tell ya i love them to death but i cant figure out why they eat so much POOP my rottis never did that PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I Feed them Nutro Nautral Choice large breed dog food they are givin Kzyme , fish oil pills , kelp every day why do the younger pups love Poop so much i have tried everything Powders, pills , spinich i even sprinkle hot pepper flakes on the stuff. What is the problem is the food not digesting enought sould i try another please help this really stinks!!!!! LOL!!

Re: HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

We have had some luck with putting pineapple juice on their food. If you buy a 6 pack of cans, you can give them about 1/3 of the can per feeding.

Re: Re: HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

I Have heard Fig Newtons work too

I would change the kind of protein you are feeding them. If you are feeding (say) lamb, switch to chicken or duck etc. and see if they can digest a different kind of protein more efficiently and quit giving any supplements. Try for a food that has a greater percentage of "meat" over carbohydrates, they need meat primarily. Hopefully they will be getting more out of the food that they are eating because they can digest it better, they will be less hungry (or more satisfied) and therefore scavange less. When they do scavange the goods won't be as appealing because the dogs assimilate the new food better. Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Teach leave it and don't let your pups watch you pick up poop. Sometimes just changing foods to a greater meat to carbohydrate ratio can help. That's about all you can do. I've tried everything.

I noticed that you use kelp, you should read this:

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=75583-uc-davis-fda-arsenic

Your dogs are beautiful.

I recently had someone tell me that after giving each dog a full size carrot daily, the resident poop eater stopped eating poop.

This is the same person who tried everything under the sun to get this one particular dog to stop eating the other dogs poop and was unsuccessful in all of those attempts. I'd also like to add that the carrot thing was purely accidental. The carrots weren't given with hopes that she'd stop eating poop.

I have no idea why the carrots may have had an influence on this but thought I'd mention it. Who knows, maybe this particular dog just doesn't like carrots.

Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

I personally have not had success with any of the anti-poop eating remedies.....I have a ten year old girl that has been attempting to eat poop since she was three months old. The only thing that works for me is picking it up as soon as it hits the ground. My two boys wouldn't dream of eating it...they don't even want to walk near it....and then there's Lily...the lean, mean poop eating machine! I have become VERY faithful about scooping up twice daily. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

I never had success either with anything other then cleaning up and ensuring there's nothing to chomp on. Gross canine habit and have never found for myself it's related to anything other then being a dog and being gross.

Re: Re: Re: Re: HELP With the stinky stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all your help i will now try a few other things that you guys have told me and will let everyone know what works if anything Anthony

I too have tried everything.

the only thing that works is picking it up as it hits the ground - not giving access can help break the behavior.

My dogs have slacked off.

And I feed lots of carrots daily as treats. It does nothing to deter the behavior.

Foolproof method:

1) Don't watch
2) No sloppy kisses

I had success with Forbid a looooong time ago with an older female I adopted, but I also put her on a much better food than what she had been on prior to getting her so who knows what really caused her to stop the behavior. My puppy b**** showed some interest a few o months ago but she knew the "leave it" command and after a few times with being told that - she hasn't shown any further interest. I also feed a very high protein food and pick up the poops as soon as they hit the ground. I have heard from reputable breeders that the tendancy can run in some bloodlines...

A

I have heard of using meat tenderizer on their food. Never tried it as I don't have dogs that do that, big thank you lord!

I have never found anything that works

I have one girl that ALWAYS gets in line to scoop up the gang's poops as they hit the ground or even before! IF I watch her closely and scoop fast she misses her treat. A cpl of other girls on occasion like to taste, but I've found few boys over the yrs seem very interested?

So, my only advice is "pick up quick OR ignore"