Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Litter Box

I work 5 days a week & started using a litter box for my litters to use during the day. My husband made one out of a piece of a kiddie pool (bottom) with a wood frame around that. Well over the years the pups have chewed the wood so the litter box has seen better days. I am wondering if there is any place that makes something like this? Or does anyone have any ideas to share on making one. The puppies use the litterbox up until the day they leave my house & who ever stays uses it until I can move them to a kennel run. It does work out great since we both work.

Re: Puppy Litter Box

Have you checked at some of the feed stores? They sometimes have low, metal pans that would work.

Tractor Supply has black hard plastice pans that would be used under a rabbit type cage. These pans are about 30x30 inches and have a 3 1/2-4 inch sides, this is what I use for both the litter box area and during warm weather I have one I use for puppy pool for small puppies, like 5-6 weeks when puppy pool sides are too high and they want to swim! They love it and don't need to worry about anybody being hurt or drowning.

Hope this helps.

I just use the whole kiddie pool and cut out an opening on one side so that when they are very little they can still get in and out. It works great for me.

"I just use the whole kiddie pool and cut out an opening on one side so that when they are very little they can still get in and out. It works great for me."

BIG poop box.

Re: Re: Puppy Litter Box

For a small litter I use one of those flat Rubbermaid type under the bed containers. Fill it with shavings and they learn very quickly. I change it at least 1x a day depending upon how much they go. The nice thing about the size is that it's very quick and easy to change the shavings as the whole container will fit into a rubbish bag to be dumped. For a larger litter I'd probably use the small plastic kiddie pool with a spot cut out for easy access.

Aloha,
Kim

I have not done this before, but I've seen a couple of breeders out here use those really thick black plastic flat cement-mixing tubs from stores like The Home Depot...they seem like a very durable, space-conserving, relatively inexpensive way to go.

Yes it is BIG, but my last litter produced 11 puppies and the rubbermaid tray I originally purchased was not big enough for multiple puppies who all wanted to poop at the same time

Cool! Lots of good ideas. Thanks everyone. I will start checking out Home Depot and other stores like that for some nice choices. I will also keep an eye out for a small kiddie pool.

Thanks again!!