Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hobbles for swimmers

Can anyone show me a picture of hobbles for a swimmer pup.And what age are we looking at that hobbles can be used on the pup. The female is now walking pretty well. The male is doing better but not really.He really tries. So I am thinking of the hobbles a couple of people mentioned.
I tried the bath mat and a runner/carpet turned over for the rubber side. and rigged rubber floor mats like for a car.This pup is 4 wks today. He is alert will pick his head up likes to of course teethe on me.!!! TIA

Re: hobbles for swimmers

Put him out in the grass for a while. I have found this to be great therapy.

Re: Re: hobbles for swimmers

As long as he is trying, I would not hobble him. The grass suggestion is an excellent one.

Before you hobble a pup, all the other pups in the litter should be walking CONFIDENTLY. Before that, the coordination is not there and hobbles won't do much, if any, good.

Re: Re: Re: hobbles for swimmers

I will email you now...
I just dealt with this recently!

Re: Re: Re: Re: hobbles for swimmers

Hey thanks the pups have been out on the grass since the beginning since 3weeks old. All are walking good and the little female is pretty much up and walking to. What we did with her is just put my hand under her rear end to get her feet up under her and help her to walk. Been doing the same with the male. 3to4-5 times a day

Although his rear legs stay twisted longer then she did. she was better getting her rear legs under her.
he is better on his front legs, worse in his rear.
but he is alert and he is trying.
where I had the xpen is on a very slight slope to.And this weed we have there is thick woody and gives them on traction it's cut low. And is better then the smooth grass. He seems to do better in that weedy area. He is bright eyed and busy tailed.

He acts like he knows I'm helping him. He doesn't fight my hand.And when I lift his rear up he knows its time for a walk.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hobbles for swimmers

Try a sling under his belly to get im up on his legs but not having to worry about holding up his full weight. You can use a long dish towel folded and even hold him up and drop a little of his weight on his legs, I found this very helpful with my litter of JRT's years ago.Sometimes they are so big that the legs really can't support the body weight so the sling takes some of the force off of the legs long enough for them to get more strength and coordination. It was silly looking walking them this way but they really had progressed to sloths.
Good luck!