Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dreamweaver question

Well, I have been using FrontPage for years, but it has messed up for the last time. I feel comfortable with it, but I must have files that are corrupt or something, although no one at the help centers can find anything wrong. So, I am tired of messing with it. I saw in a previous post that most people use Dreamweaver. What is the general cost for this program? I have seen some of the Dreamweaver software for $1500+ and I am not sure if this is what I would need. Those of you who have used it,is it user friendly, and easy to learn? Where did you purchase yours?

Re: Dreamweaver question

You wrote:
I have seen some of the Dreamweaver software for $1500+ and I am not sure if this is what I would need. Those of you who have used it,is it user friendly, and easy to learn? Where did you purchase yours?

I'm a Dreamweaver fan. I won't use anything else. You can find it at various places including its site for about $400. Do a Google for Dreamweaver to possibly find it cheaper.

No, its not user friendly and I do recommend taking classes for it. You can find decent online classes or even take the Adobe Seminar for the product.

The OEM version is the most reasonable (without the box, just the CD and Serial No.) You can save mucho dinero doing it that way.

When you get it (not if) be sure to go to the support portion of their website and download the free extension that will allow you to "Clean Up Front Page HTML". Once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you ever used anything else. Dreamweaver (and all of the former Macromedia products) is available on the Adobe website. The previous poster suggested the OEM version, but I'm not familiar with that. I'll back up everything Laura said - I don't use anything else, and detest Front Page.

Grey,

Where can we find the site for the download to convert from Front Page to Dreamweaver?

Thank you,

JanG

The link should be:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1010001

If that doesn't work, from the main Adobe site select Communities, then Exchange and then select Dreamweaver from the product list. You can then do a search for "Clean Up FrontPage HTML Sitewide" and you should be able to find it. If you need any more help, email me privately and I'll give it my best shot.

Re: Re: Dreamweaver question

Check your local community college. The one near me has them for sale in the student book store for a very good price.

You might and most likely need a student identification to purchase it from a college, university or student discount site. Most can find someone to assist with that.

You can get the student discount pretty much if there is anyone in your family that's a student or teacher. I got Dreamweaver via http://www.campustech.com/. I sent in my daughter's middle school ID but ordered it in my name.

Re: Re: Dreamweaver question

I love, love, love, love, love Dreamweaver. I have never used anything else. I am absolutely not computer literate ( couldn't get my scanner to work the other day , so went and replaced the USB cable, still didn't work, question a computer guru friend of mine, and then finally went home and fixed it myself-- I TURNED IT ON!!!! So stupid- someone had hit the 'off' button- so that is how smart I am- took me a week to figure that one out). The only classes I had on Dreamweaver was that a person who wanted to buy a puppy from me did websites and she came out to my house for two hours and loaded Dreamweaver on my computer and then showed me some stuff for about two hours. Then left me on my own. I have figured out everything else by myself or using the Dreamweaver handbook or Dreamweaver for Dummies and online information. Now I certainly can't use all its features yet but if I had more time I'll bet I could figure most of them out. Like I said- I love it. I have done three websites using Dreamweaver.
Judy

Re: Re: Re: Dreamweaver question

I have not used my Dreamweaver yet but have done 2 website building classes from LVS online and am now watching the online library of Dreamweaver CS3; so much of what I already have learned in the classes as well as learned with FP makes so much more sense. The new CS3 I think is a little more user friendly but the online library from Lynda.com is really helpful. I bought the educational software using my daughters school ID and registered it in my name. I purchased from Academic superstore. http://www.academicsuperstore.com/
The educational version does not come with any books.

Debbie

The educational version does come with a cheap price tag but isn't eligible for upgrades nor (I believe) some of the tech support if you happen to need it. But there's still plenty available on their website and with some 3rd party provider (Lynda.com is pretty good, actually). When I put my first website online in 19 whatever, none of this was available. For the most part, you were forced into learning HTML at the code level. To this day, I still find it incredibly useful to be able to switch to code view in DW and tweak the actual code when something doesn't look quite right. I also helps in understanding what DW is doing behind the scenes. Does anyone else still do this?

I do the same Greg

I still hand code a lot of stuff if I'm not happy with what DW does with it.

Re: I do the same Greg

Me too :). I thank the stars for my friend who taught me how to write code(and cut and paste works well too! :)).