Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Height

Would you breed a Lab stud, if he is just under the standard?

Re: Height

I would research his offsprings, his own mother and father and sibblings. My smaller male and females over the years have always thrown taller than themselves. In fact very much so. So check it out and if you love the dog and his pedigree go for it.

Re: Re: Height

Thank you for the response. Mom is standard, Dad just makes the standard. No offspring, thats why I was wondering if he should be bred. Nice pedigree, great temperament. They say you should always improve on the breed.

You could try breeding to an older female who has thrown offspring taller than herself.

Thank you, I've thought of that.

I own a 22" inch male that has thrown "in standard" offspring almost everytime!!
He is lovely in every other way and very worth it!

What are you measuring as standard? 22" (56cm) at withers is in US and IS everywhere else standard. What do you mean "just below"?

I personally have used 21 1/2" English male with great success, all pups at bottom US standard even 3rd generation down. His entire male family was 21 1/2".

I thought the standard is 22 and a 1/2 inches at the shoulder. My boy is 22 inches at the shoulder.

Correct, 22.5 with 1/2" variation at top AND bottom of standard, so really 22 is "in standard".

right, 22" is the cut off for a DQ