Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fox red

ok

there's ALOT of darker yellows out there being labeled fox red? a TRUE fox red is not that common? and easy to spot as a baby/pup?

Do both parents need to carry a gene for this color? please someone explain this to me?

Also, there seems to be alot of reds that look field type to me when searching on the net?

If I breed a nice bitch to a true fox red boy.....will all the pups then carry fox red?

Re: fox red

Fox red, being a SHADE of yellow does not breed true. There are breeders who have been able to fix this color by working generation after generation. Some dogs will throw the fox red color with no fox red in the pedigree and some with all fox red don't throw it. It is a SHADE of yellow, not a different color like black or chocolate.

Breeding yellow gene to yellow gene offers a possibility from light creme to fox red.

I would do a search on this forum for " fox red " and you should get some of your questions answered.

There are breeders that have had some fox red litters including myself, however there are only 2 breeders that breed fox reds on a regular basis.

You should really contact them.

Judy McCormick - Keepsake Labradors
Sally Kelly - Kellygreen Labradors

Both are great and will help answer your questions.

thanks!!!

Re: Re: A good starting reference for fox red info

See www.littleriverlabs.com/foxred.htm.

This is a picture shows the shading of pups from a breeding of 2 fox reds.
http://www.lastfrontierlabs.com/puppies/3.jpg

I had a bitch who had Ch Avalon's Hell Raiser in her pedigree fairly close up. When outcrossed and bred to another line she produced one and only one true fox red bitch puppy, never before or after to see one again in any litter. The fox red girl was not of show quality unfortunately. The rest of the yellows in that litter were lighter colors of yellow varying drastically. Apparently the line I bred to also carried fox red. When I have time I plan on researching both pedigree's fully, I didn't when it occurred.

There is a very nice fox red boy out there who was at P-mac in 2007 named Willie. Here is his page. http://www.littleriverlabs.com/willie.htm He is not field type as you call it. His owner comes on this list, you might want to see if he posts. He does on occasion and is full of good information always.

Fox red genetics are hard to predict. Sometimes you will get a litter that has unexpected reds. However, if you look hard enough at the pedigree you can usually see where it comes from even if it is four or five generations back. As other people have suggested you may want to contact Judy McCormick (Keepsake Labradors), Sally Kelley (Kelleygreen Labradors), or Greg Tonkin (Little River Labradors). All of these breeders are well known for their fox reds and have information on their websites. In addition Sally Bell (Borador Labradors) may be able to help you as she breeds and produces the fox red shade. Sally unfortunately to my knowledge has no web site. In addition to these breedders I would do a google search for Woodhaven Labradors or Kelrobin Labradors (they recently switched names). While I don't believe they have fox reds, there are many great links to articles on their website including some about the fox red shade.

Re : Re : fox red

Here's a pic of the first Fox Red I've met. Very dark red color. Was almost mistaken as a Chocolate when born lol. She went to a Pet home and lives in NY with her "sister" Amber.. 1st Fox Red I've ever seen in person. Her Sire was Black(Byc) and so was her Dam(By).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
1 year
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
6 months

Re: Re : Re : fox red

this is a more field type lab and in my opinion not as dark as some of the fox reds I have seen on some of the websites I mentioned in my previous post. Some of the lines that produced these reds (that I previously mentioned) however can trace their heritage many generations back to prominent Scottish field lines. These dogs today however have the lok of English type show labs.

Re: Re : Re : fox red

My apologies. i thought I had posted before on this thread but I haven't. The reason i didn't is because FYI said almost exactly what I would have. My previous comment refers to the breeders mentioned by FYI.

Re: Re: Re : Re : fox red

Hi!

As posted earlier, to see some beautiful fox red coloring, email Gregg Tonkin at Little River Labradors. He can email you or direct you to photos of Willie get. www.littleriverlabs.com

There is no comparison in a true fox red vs a dark yellow.

If we only had a dollar for every bewildered look on a judges face when we enter the ring!!!