Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PUPPY DEPOSITS

DO ANY OF YOU COLLECT PUPPY DEPOSITS WHEN YOUR
GIRL IS BRED AND BEFORE A CONFIRMED PREGNANCY?

IF SO, IS IT A REFUNDABLE OR NON REFUNDABLE
DEPOSIT?

Re: PUPPY DEPOSITS

Negative, not until they are on the ground, healthy and i know what I have!! I accept deposits at 1 week of age...

Re: Re: PUPPY DEPOSITS

SAME, do not take puppy deposits on something that I don't KNOW I have. I have a list, I tell people that I have done the breeding, and they either wait with me, or they go elsewhere.

Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DEPOSITS

Ditto here. I wait until I know what colors and sexes I have so that I can tentatively pair them up with prospective owners. I don't tell them which puppy they will get but am able to tell them I will have a yellow male or black female for them.

Johanne

I wait too. Too hard to have heartbroken people. Besides why collect money and promise when there might be 3 that I want to keep after I see them! :-) I think as resputable breeders we really don't have any problem selling puppies althought sometimes we may have to keep them a bit longer than 8 weeks, but the right forever home does come along!

I have also heard collecting money is a contract to sell them a puppy and you can be legally sued if there is no puppy...that is what I have heard don't know the truth/fiction to it either!

I on the other hand do accept deposits before whelping. These deposits are refundable (ones before whelping), but once they are on the ground the deposit is no longer refundable except in cases of extreme circumstances. When someone does place a deposit before whelping I never deposit it if it is a check, therefore if a problem arises I can just rip up the check. I try not to take deposits before puppies are born, but some people insist as they have seen a litter they want a puppy from on my upcoming litters page. Recently I had someone put a deposit down for a puppy from a bitch that was not even bred at the time. Like, I said I try to discourage this, but some people are insistant.

Ditto!

Never cash the deposit checks anyway,, so why should it matter

I've recently changed my view on this.

I now take 200. "non"-refundable deposit once I am sure my girl is in whelp, limiting the # of deposits to a reasonable number, and telling folks that IF there is not a puppy available for them then they can either have their $ back, choose a different color/sex or wait for a future litter . So, I guess it is refundable I make sure these are ppl I like and that I think can provide the best of homes for a pup.

I at the very least speak at length on the phone and prefer to have had a visit prior to any deposit. Have also recently started limiting the time of any visit here to 1 hr maximum recently had folks send a deposit, come meet me and the parents "both happened to live here" and visit for 2 plus hrs! they had fallen in LOVE with the dad via pictures saying he was just like the dog they'd lost etc ETC....

I make very clear the total cost of a pup in the beginning, it's on my site and my questionairre etc so there are no surprises later.....well at the end of the visit they asked "how much" when I told them, and they already should have been aware...........they paled! I asked if this was a potential issue....their answer was "we need to think on it".

Two days later an e-mail arrives saying that they want a dog that is going to look like their old one .......and mine now don't???

some ppl are soooooooooooo irratating sometimes? so I told them thay'd need to stop payment on the check since I was unable to locate it. Call me "childish?"

Well Scarlett O'Hara, being as you said it first, yeah I think you ARE A brat. you sound like a REAL gem.

Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DEPOSITS

Not only do I NOT accept a deposit before the puppies are on the ground, I only accept an "interview" deposit once they are whelped. It is a tiny deposit and totally refundable. I have talked to people at length and thought they were perfect, only to find I did not like them when I met them in person. After the in person interview, I either accept a binding deposit or return the "interview" deposit. And yes, I have refunded those deposits.

Applicants submit a deposit when they complete my 10-page application. If they do not pass my further evaluation or I do not have a puppy for them, I return the deposit. I have returned deposits.

But if you are trying to decide whether to take a deposit, you might really need to ask yourself the purpose of a deposit for you.

Here we go again.

Someone mentioned earlier that by accepting a deposit you have by law entered into a binding contract. True true. It may not matter to the people that you tear up their check or return their money. You may want to rethink the deposit before that law suit you never thought would happen does.

Yes, we start taking deposits once a breeding is done. We only normally take four until the pups are born. If it is going to be a two color litter, we take one of each, if only one, two of each.
Yes, our deposits are refundable for any reason until the pups are 5 weeks of age. We have refunded past then, based upon the situation.

I'll take deposits as soon as she is confirmed pregnant. The deposit if fully refundable:

- three days after the birth of the litter, or three days after the deposit is received, whichever is later.
- if I cannot sell the puppy for any reason

And if they back out, I'll apply the deposit to a future litter.

I accept deposits once pregnancy is confirmed.

The first person requesting a black male for instance has first choice by giving me a deposit. 2nd choice, 3rd. and so on.

If I do not have the pup someone wants (color, sex) I refund the deposit.

I have only kept a deposit once from someone who backed out (decided they just weren't ready) the day before pups were ready to go (this was after receiving an email 2 days prior that they couldn't wait to get their pup). I had turned away two other buyers in the mean time. I had the pup long enough to require second and third set of vaccinations, etc. and that deposit paid for that.