Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
U Neck in dogs

Can anyone tell me or have a link or a picture so that I may see what a U neck looks like? I read about it and have no idea what it is but I think my dog may have it.

Cheers

Re: U Neck in dogs

A ewe neck in horses means the there is a visable dip in the top side of the neck, therefore creating the impressing of a "U". This can be enviromental (improper condtioning - head set) or conformational.
Either way it is undesirable.

You can do a search on "illustrated standard ewe neck" and get several results for many different breeds.

It's "Ewe" - not "U" - the shape of a sheep's neck. Basically the bottomline is longer than the topline of the neck and it looks like it's on upside-down.

Here's another description: "a ewe neck, which has a concave, sheep-like arch."

See if anyone has a pat hastings seminar overview...She has lots of photos in her seminars. Mostly they can be seen in terriers and hounds, but I recently have seen one in a labrador.

"Ewe" see it a lot more than you should. It often isn't recognized for what it really is, and is sometimes spoken of by the uneducated as having "a nice reach of neck" because the dog when moving holds its head up into a nice erect position -- because that's all it can do. It is not correct movement in the Labrador, and it's because of incorrect structure.

Re: Re: U Neck in dogs

How old can you see this in a pup?