Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Digital X-rays

Ever since my vet has gone over to digital X-ray technology, I have been having more trouble getting elbows cleared. I have no problem with hips, but the elbows have been frustrating to say the least. Is anyone else having this problem and if so, how concerned are they and do they have any thoughts on the matter. Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Digital X-rays

Digital images are crisp and clear. They show more then even the best regular films. More detail can show more flaws.

Re: Re: Digital X-rays

I understnd what you are saying, but my lines have had no elbow problems for generations and generations. What I am wondering is if we could somehow have digital x-rays f some of the dogs in the past if the OFA would not pass them either. I am actually considering resubmitting some X-rays in non digital format and seeing if the results vary. I know in the past people have submitted the same hip X-rays at different times and received different results.

Re: Re: Re: Digital X-rays - I HATE THEM

As soon as my vet started doing digital too many of my dogs could pass hips or elbows

Re: Re: Re: Re: Digital X-rays - I HATE THEM

sounds like a problem in your lines since most people I've spoken to or heard from seem to feel that digital is just fine!

Re: Re: Re: Digital X-rays

Responding to:
"What I am wondering is if we could somehow have digital x-rays f some of the dogs in the past if the OFA would not pass them either. I am actually considering resubmitting some X-rays in non digital format and seeing if the results vary."

Yes, it is possible, but not likely, that x-rays of the past if taken digitally may have shown different results because the image can be made more clear, especially if the quality of the original image wasn't very good. The difference between standard and digital images are the way the images are recorded. Standard images are made on large film and digital images are captured electronically and viewable on a computer screen. The digital images are stored on a computer and the magnification, brightness, darkenss or contrast can be adjusted to clarify questionable areas. Digital images usually have a quicker exposure time too, this will also eliminate movement artifacts from the film making it clearer.

Resubmitting x-rays on film that are of good technical quality will show the same defect that was seen on a digital image. If you resubmit a poor quality film there is a possibility that your defect will be missed and maybe you will get a better rating but, is that what you want? The defect is there whether or not it was documented. Sorry.