Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chewing

Help! I have a 15 month old female Lab out in a kennel that is 5 x 10 with a dog house in it. She gets enough attention and exercise, but, she likes to chew on the dog house. She has chew bones, of all sorts. I have put horses chew stop, lemon juice, hot sauce nothing seems to stop her from chewing. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Re: Chewing

Your dog is probably bored. Being in a kennel all day doesn't provide the mental stimulation that a smart dog needs. She needs to be with people and have something to do. If you aren't home during the day, make sure she is good and tired from walking, running, and PLAYING before you put her in the kennel. At night as soon as you come home, PLAYING, attention, walking and running before you bring her in the house will do wonders. A tired dog is a good dog. Assuming she comes in to spend the evening and night with you...

Re: Re: Chewing

Thank you!

Re: Chewing

I appreciate that a dog needs mental stumulation and lots of exercise but if after all that she continues to chew here is a concoction I promise she won't chew through. In a spray bottle, mix 3 parts Liquid Heat (a product like Ben Gay only it is a liquid and is sold in drug stores and grocery stores with the Ben Gay type items) with one part Bitter Apple. Do not mix it near your face! do not spray near your face! Spray it on the wood and allow to dry before putting the dog in the run. Reapply every week for a month and then every few weeks or after rain.

Re: Re: Chewing

Thanks so much. My dogs do get alot of stimulation, exercise and interaction with others in my kennel. So, I was very surprised at this chewing thing. It was the first time my girl was in a kennel with a dog house. Hopefully it was a one shot chew. If not I will certainly try your concoction.