Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA for coat length ?

DDC Veterinary in Fairfield, Ohio is pleased to announce a new DNA
test for coat-length among Labrador Retrievers.

got the above today......anyone else???

Re: DNA for coat length ?

LOL - where and when did the long hair gene pop up in Labradors? What does a long haired Labrador look like?

NOW???? if.....they can find how to add undercoat/correct coat that might be worth checkin' into

Re: Re: DNA for coat length ?

I've seen some long-haired Labradors. They look like small Newfies.

"What does a long haired Labrador look like?"

A Flat-Coat on Steroids?

Re: Re: Re: DNA for coat length ?

Is there any possiblity you might have bald or poorly coated labbies and you don't know what nice coat looks like? You can go to specialities local to you or take a jet plane to the west coast of the States to see some really nice ones all at once

I don't believe there is a genetic test for proper coat, only a good eye and breeding will show that.

I know someone here at MSU who had been determining the gene involved in "fluffy" rotties and corgis and after seeing what I considered a "fluffy" labrador at a show in Chicago earlier this year, I absolutely wonder if we could have a such a gene in our breed. I've seen correct coat and have seen "dripping in coat", this dog was much more than any of that...it was a trimmed golden retriever coat on a labrador body.

Not surprisingly, when we DNA tested my Corgi for the fluff test, we learned that he is fluff factored - but not a fluffy. The boy is dripping with coat (sometimes referred to as a glamour coat - more frequently referred to (by me) as a royal pain when trying to get it to lay flat for the ring).

Cheers, K

Re: Re: Re: Re: DNA for coat length ?

I've been to sever specialties and talked to many English judges, had my hands on great coats and not so great coats. You can't tell a great coat by looking at it, only by putting your hands on it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: DNA for coat length ?

So you think over-all West Coast dogs have more correct coats than East Coast dogs? Sorry, your post just kinda comes across as a slam to East Coast breeders. Not trying to start anything, but think about how it sounds.

To me, a correct Labrador coat is one that's short, thick and harsh to the touch. No wave. When you run your hand backward through it, you shouldn't see any skin.

I love the East Coast dogs in coat, I happen to think you see some better coats on the West Coast all at once at some specialities and respect the breeders of those dogs. We're all entitled to our opinions. I've been hands on with many an East and West Coast dog as well as ones from all areas of the States and Canada.

A lab with good coat (not "long" coat) does not look like a Newfie, JMO

Gee Miss you do seem to get snippy quite often. I normally post with my name but when it comes to a post where you are getting snippy I don't

Re: Re: Re: DNA for coat length ?

Yep, or a black golden retriever

Yes I have been beat by a couple long coated labs. Over a correct coat.??? I got the same message today.Bout the Testing