Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
itchy ears

Our dogs all do extremely well on their Royal Canin Labrador, but recently one of our boys has been getting "yeasty ears".........this product does contain wheat and corn, and we've had great success in the past with kibbles w/out wheat and corn.....just wondering what works for everyone else with a sensitive dog. Always looking for suggestions.
thanks

Re: itchy ears

no corn, no chicken , no soy works for us
barb

Re: Re: itchy ears

Canidae Lamb and Rice or Salmon and rice.
Annie

Canidea All Stages actually works fine for my bunch. A friend's lab had really bad ears, took months of vet care to clear them up. She put him on Solid Gold Millenium and they have been fine for years.

Grain free.

Re: Re: itchy ears

Nature's Variety Instinct is grain-free. No corn, either.

Re: Re: Re: itchy ears

Dogs do not need grain nor do they process it - too much starch and carbs - go grain free. If the ears are yeasty you can tell if your cotton ball comes up black and stinky. I found a recipe on the web using Gentian Blue, Boric Acid Powder, alcohol - this has absolutely worked and has fixed the yeasty ears which can be a bear to get rid of. I am sure someone here will have the recipe for it, I just don't have it right in front of me right now.

I had to take one of our crew off Royal Canin for the exact same reason--itchy ears.

Changed to a food without grain and the ear are now good.

I have had great success with both Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach.
Kathy

Grain Free.

If not - California Natural is an excellent food with few ingred. for dogs with issues.

We stay away from corn, wheat, soy, sorghum

You can also give apple cider viniger daily (1 tbs in food) as it can help with yeast if you find a food change does not help.

Re: Canidea Sensitive Skin and Allergy Formula

Has anyone tried this brand of Canidea? Does is work better than the ALL Stages formula for itchyness?