Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sick mom

I have a bitch with one week old pup's she became i'll yesterday couldn't keep anything in her. Temp ended up to be 102.3. Brought her to the ER last night did x-rays & blood work nothing there. Vet not concerned about her temp. The vet gave her fluids & injectable pepcid sent her home. Let's just say it was along night! Finally got her to settle around 3am.
Finally got her to eat some chicken this am time will tell if she holds it down.

The only thing i'm really wondering about is in her hematology blood work a "MONO" came back low?? Normal range is 0.30 - 2.00 her's was 0.19. Can any one tell me more about this & should I be worried.

I'm waiting for her regular vet to call me as always it's when they have time even if your call came in first thing in the am......ugh!

Thanks, MIchele

Re: sick mom

My guess would be a uterine infection - I've had this once and it wasn't pretty.
Clavamox cleared it up in a few days though...
I'd ask for some!

Re: Re: sick mom

I'm running her to the vet she's just not right. Even her flaps of her ears are red.

Re: Re: Re: sick mom

Hi!

Good luck with your bitch. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.
Let us know what you find out.

Donna

Prayers that this is a minor thing and your girl will be feeling better and back with her pups soon.

Please keep us posted.

Re: Re: sick mom

I have a bitch with 2 week old pups. On Sunday, she was just not right. Took her temp and it was 103.8. I started her on Cephalexin, and her temp was back to normal within 24 hours. She is still on the meds for a few more days, but she seems fine now. Whatever it was, I guess I caught it early, but will keep a close eye on her to make sure. I hope your mammy is doing better real soon. We are sending good thoughts your way!

Re: Re: Re: sick mom

Well the vet is totally stumped she took one look at her & said this dog looks like she's having a alergic reaction real bad to something. What? Haven't changed anything in her diet, no chemicals in the yard, no new plants. So they admitted her for a couple of hours gave her fluids, Clavamox , low dose of prednisone & benadryl. Drew blood for a out of house CBC to see if they pick up on anything. So for now she's home seems to be perkier will take the clavamox & benadryl for a week unless instructed differently tomorow.

It's really strange because her whole body is red swollen eyes & her ears are red & swollen. I'm really stumped on this one!! It all just started with her trowing up yesterday fine before that!

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Re: Re: Re: Re: sick mom

That really is wierd. I hope she does well. Keep us posted.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick mom

good news Morgan is looking better today still consuming a ton of water, maybe it's the benadryl.
I'm wondering about a spider bite?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick mom

As I red your description of her first thing that came to my mind was some sort of sting or bug bite???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick mom

lol that would be READ

I think she's become sensitive to chicken protein.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick mom

The vet said no to a insect bite it would be local reaction not a whole body reaction. It'll always be a mystery! But she's fealing much better almost back to her old self!