Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying a dog

Although I have shipped dogs on the airlines before, I have never traveled with a dog as "luggage". I am attempting to do so and would like imput from those of you who have experience.
Thus far, I'm finding that the cost is approaching the same price I've paid to ship a dog as cargo. I'm surprised by that, but maybe that is normal?
Any suggestions on what airlines are better at this. Northwest seems to be a good option at this point.
Thanks,
LuAnn

Re: Flying a dog

I flew to California in Feb to pick up a dog. I flew him back on Delta. It would have cost me over $400 to ship him one way. I paid a little over $200 for a round trip ticket and $100 to check him as baggage on the flight home.

For me that was the way to go. I got to put my hands on him before I made the final decision to buy, plus I got to spend the day with a wonderful breeder and see her other dogs and his half sister.

They were very nice and when we changed planes they gave me a tag that had been attached to his crate, so that I knew he was on the plane, but I knew that because I had a window seat and watched them load him. I will say I was very worried about him during the flight but he did well.

I am grateful to have him in my house. It would have taken 2 & 1/2 days to drive one way.

Dayna

Your fare plus the charge for the dog (which I think is around $100, up from $50 pre-9/11) may approach the price of a cargo shipment, but I would encourage making the trip and being with the dog on the same plane if for no other reason than your peace of mind. Yes, you'll worry, but probably a bit less. I have had success using Delta, but it's been a few years since I shipped a dog/puppy. The last time I shipped was on Frontier. They don't normally do it, but I had a friend whose husband was a Frontier pilot and the puppy crate was in the compartment just under the cockpit. As I understand the story, they opened the trap door and interacted with the puppy the whole way. Probably against all rules, but I certainly felt better.

Re: Re: Flying a dog

When flying with my dogs as excess baggage, I always fly American with the exception of an international flight when I flew with 3 pups from England on Delta.

The charge is $100.00 one way and a whole lot cheeper than cargo.

When I board a flight I always ask the Captain to let me know when my dog(s) are on the plane. And, they always do!!!!

Do not give your dogs any drugs when flying with them. They can handle the flight with no problems when they are drug free. Remember that dogs are not aware of time so the duration of the flight makes no difference - they will always be happy to see you at baggage when you claim them.

Re: Re: Re: Flying a dog

Thanks to everyone who responded or emailed me privately. The info was helpful. But, I have one last question since I've never taken a dog with me on a flight: Everyone keeps saying, "tell the Captain that you have dogs on the flight." Do you just stick your head in the cabin as you're walking back to your seat or what? I didn't know the flight crew had any indication or cared if animals were on board. Interesting!

I told one of the flight crew and then watched her tell the captain. He has to make sure the baggage area is pressurized correctly is what I was told.