Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PUPPY DIARRHEA

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can offer advice or comments pertaining to a diarrhea issue we are having here.

I have a litter of puppies who are 7 1/2 weeks old now. At ~ 5 weeks old, I noticed their stool was regularly soft; softer than I would like to see. That did not bother me too much since it was no big deal but, to be "safe", I had a fecal float done with a complete stool exam and all was fine! No bacteria or worms of any kind! As a precaution, I did get a prescription of sulfatrim. Within a couple of days, the stool seemed to be better with it being soft at times and good at other times but never diarrhea!

Then, a couple of days ago, it became quite clear that the stool quality was deteriorating for some of the pups. Three were having very loose stools ...... more like diarrhea!!!! Yesterday, 3 of the 6 pups were having diarrhea like water!!!!! I figured it was likely just a result of them eating some nasty plants, grass, etc. while playing in the backyard. I decided though that since the general stools of the pups had been less than perfection all along (a little soft stool but not bad) and it had become diarrhea in some pups,I would start a new food that might produce a better stool and have been mixing in the new food since yesterday.

So far it has not helped!!! We have discontinued letting them play outside (inside play only) and have reduced their diets. As well, tonight I started feeding them a little bran as recommended by my vet. Tomorrow, I will get another fecal float, etc. done. For now, I have started the meds again in case it is bacterial after getting another prescription from my vet!!! I do not want the other 3 pups to get this (if it is bacterial) nor do I want this to continue!!!!

This is REALLY frustrating! ALL pups we have are born and whelped in the house. They sleep on clean sheets in a puppy pen with papers that are changed many times each day. They eat out of individual bowls which are cleaned with antibacterial soap after each feeding. Their pen area is cleaned throughout the day with antibacterial cleaner,they are regularly dewormed,etc. etc.

They receive the best care that can be given to pups and everything is super clean!

Hopefully, this will be a short term problem and I will be seeing a vet again tomorrow as I described. I have decided to skip their last feeding tonight that will givetheir system 12 hours rest before seeing the vet tomorrow.

Other than the stool issue, pups are great. Lots of appetite, eating well, drinking, playing, with lots of energy. The diarrhea is the only problem that is really frustrating.

Any advice/comments?

Much appreciated,

Wade

Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA

Sounds like cocci or giardia to me. Switching food certainly didn't help matters any. Go back to your vet, and get more meds. Treat all puppies. Run another stool, it may or may not show anything, treat anyway ! It's there , it's just hiding.

Did they do an elisa test for coccidia/giardia? My boss had the same proablem with an older puppy. Soft stool, try changing food. Try yogurted. The vet ran a fecal, which came back negative. I asked it they tryed the elsa(sp) test for coccidia or giardia (sorry I can't remeber wich one for sure). Well sure enought she came up positive. Everything has been fine since then. Good luck.

Giardia is very hard to detect on a stool, I would treat with Panacur (works better than Flagyl IMO)...
Good luck!

"I have a litter of puppies who are 7 1/2 weeks old now."
It's always right before they go home, isn't it!

Sounds like coccidia to me also.

Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA

Sounds like they might just be eating things they shouldn't outside, I would try giving them tylan powder on their food (sprinkled on like salt), works wonders!
Aloha,
Jackie

Sure sounds like Coccidia!! I'd treat with Albon for 4-5 days, per your vet instructions. Coccidia doesn't always show up on the fecal exam, but believe me, when the babies are out playing in the grass and dirt...they almost all get it.

Try fasting them for 12-24 hours. Sometimes that works for me. What about your water source? Are you on a well?

Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA

I'll third the Coccidia diagnoses, sometimes it is difficult to pick up in a stool sample. I would treat them for it.

I agree, go on and treat. The sooner the better. Taking them off food and having loose stools will really put a hurting on how they look. With Albon you can just go on and feed. We all have had a touch of it one time or another. Or will !

Thanks for all the comments! A stool test did not reveal anything but they are being treated for coccidia!

They had meds last night and again this evening so they have been treated 2X now! (This time ..... were on meds earlier.)

So far, in the 24 hours of meds, there has been no improvement. If it continues tomorrow, I will go to another vet clinic and try another stool sample! Maybe it just needs more time to work but I am concerned that it might be giardia and, if so, the coccidia meds will not take care of it!

Will post an update later!!!

Don't panic, give it time to work. Just make sure they are drinking lost of water. As others have said it does not always show up in stool sample.

Sometimes we over medicate. Fasting them really doesnt hurt them and it gives their systems time to clear out and rest.When all else failed it has work time and time again for me. It's harder on you then the pups. Give them plenty of water, but make sure its a good water source as well water can be contaminated. if you are unsure about the water source, use bottle spring water. I also use fenbendazole to worm the pups and that does take care of giardia.