Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blowing coat after litter - Your experience?

I know it's normal for bitch to blow coat after a litter of puppies, but wow, my girl has it bad. Maybe combination of hot weather and hormones, but never seen her so naked. I can see her skin on both sides and her undercoat is gone. How long should it take for coat to come back? Do you supplement with fish oil, vitamin E or anything? She is dry from antibiotics due to c-section.

Re: Blowing coat after litter - Your experience?

My girl just looked like a naked mole rat....oh the tail made me cry! Pups are 5 months and she is back to full coat, just lovely and shiny. I didn't do anything.just let the hormones do their thing.

I have had some who never blow coat.................just a hormone individual thing.

For dry skin, a nice aloe shampoo bath may help her feel better

My girl had a c section in April and she was very itchy as well and BALD. I bathed her in oatmeal shampoo and did put her on a supplement from natures farmacy, but I think it would have came back either way. It took 5 months but her coat is great now

My pups are 10 weeks old and I called Ciara my coyote with leprosy. She looked awful...bald on both sides. I have heard many breeders talk about this but had no idea how bad they looked. LOL She is starting to come back nicely. She is much darker than pre-whelp... I would definitely rather have her go bald than get too thin. Ciara is far from tip top but I see a great improvement...no supplements.

Agree with all the posters. My girls blow coat so badly, some worse then others, it's all hormones. Coat comes back and they are beautiful.

My girl sheds some but does not go bald like you say. I think it depends on what you are feeding also. No offence meant to anyone.

coyote with leprosy - BAHAHAHAHA

That describes it perfectly.

Re: Re: Blowing coat after litter - Your experience?

I remember how a few laughed when I panicked thinking something was terribly wrong with my girl after my first litter with her she turned into this awful hairless sad thing. I was so concerned I even took pictures close up of her skin to post and ask for help. She had black SPOTS underneath...didn't know that was typical, heck, I hadn't seen a bald yellow before:)
She got into warm baths to sooth her skin and even now jumps right into the tub and lays down whenever I ask her to as I really think it made her feel better.
I did give vit e and fish oil, but think her high quality diet would have done fine as well. She looked great about 6 months later.
Annie

We went completely bald after first litter too. started on sides, moved up towards the back- and then the rear started- tail was last, but she kept a few puffs on her rear end cheeks LOL. I thought something was terribly wrong too in a panic- i knew they blew coat, but had no idea it was to an extreme!
Those pups are now 11 weeks old- she started blowing when they were 4 weeks old. so now it's been 7 weeks, no bald spots left - coat is still thin- but oh does it shine -she never lost coat around her neck though- i suspect we'll have another blow before winter comes!

My litter is 7 weeks old now. So far the mom has lost a couple small patches of hair in the middle of her flanks, and has had some general shedding all over. Coat still looks good though.