Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
following why breed problems

HONESTLY, MONEY WINS.

I have always culled ruthlessly, placing dogs for temperament, poor movement, not passing clears, allergies, skin/ear/eye issues....................I also let my dogs grow up to 4-6 years before thinking about offerng them for public stud. I track offspring. I don't care how much I spend, substandard GOES to a pet home.

It comes down to what you will "accept" as ok in the breed. I am strict and have no problem outing something from my breeding program. Never had a c-section, best bitch headed in that diection and was subsequently spayed. I buy heartworm and flea prevention, do vaccines and that is IT. I see no excuse for allergies, ear problems, poor temperament, breeding problems, etc. Read the original standard.....a healthy, hearty, well tempered dog. An easy keeper!

As long as people invest and make $$ problems definately get overlooked. So, don't act confused as to why there are so many problems. After you spend thousands and the dog comes up with a problem, will you cull it from breeding?

Re: following why breed problems

Are there any labs at all withOUT allergies?
#1 biggest lie from breeders: No known allergies in their lines.

Winning trumps health/temperament when it comes to breeding. There are people who will breed all three things - conformation, health and temperament, but many of the breeders on the list will overlook h & t for a dog that is a specialty winner.

The other thing is the breeder that has one or two bitches. Often it's a case of breeding what you have rather than looking deeper and realizing it shouldn't be bred and trying again. Starting over costs time and money and the majority of the breeders are stingy with both.

I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind as well but the final thing to think of is that one of the puppies produced is staying with me and I want the best I can breed. I don't want to just settle on whatever I can get.

Re: Re: following why breed problems

hmmm, I have not experienced ANY allergies AT ALL in any of the dogs I own, or have owned.
Am I lying? Nope. I don't need to lie.

Re: Re: Re: following why breed problems

What's your kennel name?

Re: Re: Re: Re: following why breed problems

NOYB but why would I lie since you have no idea who I am anyway?
What would be the point???
I'm only stating that I have not experienced these allergies that are spoken of so often.
Lucky me I guess

I also have dogs with no allergys. But that doesnt mean they cant throw pups that have allergys. Its all a gamble. Genetics are genetics. I have "culled" out so many dogs from the past 10 years. 25%