Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Word About "Labradoodles"

From time to time the subject of Labradoodles comes up on this forum, most often with understandable disgust. As breeders or owners of Labradors, we do not want to see our dogs or our breed being used to perpetuate the irresponsible & uneducated cross breeding of mutts misrepresented as "designer dogs."

It is a fact that so-called "designer dogs," formerly knows as mutts, are at a peak of popularity these days for some unknown reason. It is outragous to see ignorent people carelessly crossing any two breeds together for the purose of making a profit, tagging these mutts with a fancy name, charging unreasonable amounts of money for a dog that you can get a shelter, and then calling themselves a breeder.

It is well-known that Poodles are amoung the most popular crosses. It's also a sad fact that the majority of so-called Labradoodle breeders are uneducated, not doing clearances, not offering guarantees, selling indescriminatley, and simply breeding hybrid crosses of a Lab to Poodle. These dogs are nothing more than mutts. They have little to offer, and should not cost a large amount of money, if any at all. These breeders don't know enough to be breeding dogs, they misrepresent their dogs as non-shedding and hypo allergenic, etc. It's a joke.

However, and this is what most people do not know, there are also a handfull of Labradoodle breeders who have done a great deal of research, breed very selectively to a set Labradoodle standard, have genetic clearances done on all breeding stock, offer an extensive guarantee comperable to many of our own, and place pups with great care and screening, etc.

These select few Labradoodle breeders are those who are working on establishing a new breed, not just a designer dog or a mutt. They only use multigeneration Labradoodles who meet their standard and have predictable and consistent breed traits, unlike the hybrid mutts.

Here are some lesser known facts:

There are some established Labradoodle clubs & registries compleate with breeder code of ethics, a breed standard, competitions & events, etc.

The true Labradoodle, not the all-to-common 1st or 2nd generation crosses, have been around for over 30 years (well before the designer dog craze) and were origionally bred with a pupose, and no it wasn't to be a facny designer dog.

There are breeders out there breeding a very true-to-type Labradoodle that is the result of many generations of selective breeding.

Look, even if you don't personaly see a need for a new breed, that is not something an indiviudal has the right to decide. A new breed comes about when enough people care about the dog and put years of hard work into creating it. The AKC accepts new breeds all the time, and if it weren't for people creating new breeds of dogs, our Labs wouldn't be in exisitance either.

Please keep an open mind, and when you hear the word Labradoodle thrown around, ask yourself, are they referring to the well-known mutt, or the true Australian Labradoodle that is well on it's way to carving a permanent place in history for itself?
There is a difference. There are two types of Labradoodles; The common Mutt (Lab x Poodle cross), and the Breed (Australian Labradoodle.)

Please check out the following links to learn more and see the difference for yourself.

Breed Standard:

http://www.laa.org.au/breeders-breed_standard.html

Breed History:

http://www.laa.org.au/lab-history.htm

Parent Breeds (Not just Lab x Poodle crosses):

http://www.laa.org.au/breeders-parentbreeds.htm

Clubs & Registries:

http://www.australianlabradoodleclub.us/

http://www.ilainc.com/index.html

http://www.laa.org.au/

Breeders:

http://www.labradoodleasd.com/

http://www.rutlandmanor.com/

http://www.manorlakelabradoodles.com/

http://www.rosewoodlabradoodles.com/

And before you ask, No, I'm not a Doodle breeder. My heart belongs to Labs. I just feel the need to enducate people as to the "other side of the story." I don't like to see a good dog catagorized as something it's not, just as I do not like to see a mutt catagorized as a "rare breed" or a "designer dog."

Thanks for your time.

Re: A Word About "Labradoodles"

Where do you get your statistics from?

"It's also a sad fact that the majority of so-called Labradoodle breeders are uneducated, not doing clearances, not offering guarantees, selling indescriminatley, and simply breeding hybrid crosses of a Lab to Poodle."

Re: Re: A Word About "Labradoodles"

"Where do you get your statistics from?"

Oh, I don't know, how about the number of ads in the paper from back yard breeders, pups sold in pet stores, and websites on-line from back yard breeders etc, vs the number of breeders who are acutally breeding responsibly.

Then there's the number of Doodles seen in person that I was told were sold without a guarantee, vs the number of Doodles I've seen that were sold with a good guarantee. Ya know, things like that.

Why, what might lead you to believe otherwise? If you have evidence of this info being inaccurate, by all means, prove me wrong. It is never my intent to post anything midleading, I only post what I know to be true. I have done my homework on this subject.

Besides does anyone here know of any breed of Dog, purebred or otherwise, where the majority of breeders are ethical vs those that are back yarders or just out to make money? Good breeders seem to have always been in shortage.

If they are truly working to establish a new breed, then the first thing they should do is find a decent name for the breed. Labradoodle. Really. I would assume that they wanted the retrieving abilities of both breeds, so perhaps it could be a retriever. Can't be curly coats,so perhaps wire coated retrievers? Or something. They will never be taken seriously with the name labradoodle. Sheesh.

Re: Re: Re: A Word About "Labradoodles"

Not interested in being educated, thank you ! They are mutts ! Like you said.

I share you feelings on this. I too find the name less than suiting.

If they are that great of breeders, how come one litter looks like poodle-mutts and one litter looks like Lab-mutts? You would think they would attempt to breed to a standard of sorts.

Why not breed for a different poodle? Why screw up 2 breeds?

Personally I no longer reffer these "breeds" by anything by anything but there truthfull names. Mixedbreeds! Lab poodle mix. Cocker Poodle mix. Golden poodle mix. I still find people who belive that these are registeralbe breeds. Some people are less then thrilled to have thier very expensive pet reffered to as a mix breed. I am well aware of the start Labradoodles had in Australia. Orignally to find hypo. coat with the personality of a lab for a seeing eye dog. But the trials were discontinued because if they were lucky they would get 1 puppy out of several litters with the hypo. coat. As well as the lack of ability to predict size, temperment coat texture ect ect ect..... Some of the newly recongized breeds that you mentioned ie. the Duck Toller, has been around for hundreds of years not 30.

Putting personal feelings aside, what I would wonder is even if the AKC did accept the "Labradoodle" as a breed, how would it prevent the non Australian Labradoodle Pedigrees from registering their litters ?

All these labradoodle breeders would now be justifed in registering their litters and charging even more money. The general public would need to do alot of research on the non allergice pedigrees of Labradoodles versus the breeders who are breeding labradors with poodles for first generation.

My parents have owned a few poodles over the years and all 3 poodles (from different lines) were little snotty brats. (sorry mom and dad) I don't know if the standard poodles are better around people they don't know but isn't temperament key in putting together a breeding program for the Guide dog program ? I understand the concept of wanting to breed a dog that doesn't cause allergies but surely there is a breed out there that is shedless and can retrieve ?? It's not just the hair people are allergic to but the dander. I would bet poodles have dander.

"Why not breed for a different poodle?"

I don't know, ask them. They seem to like their Labradoodle and have run with that concept.

"Why screw up 2 breeds?"

The mix breeding of dogs does not screw up a purebred. There can be as many Lab/Poodle mixes and Australian Labrdoodles in the world as there are any other type or breed of dog in the world, and that will never change the fact that a Lab is still a Lab and a Poodle is still a Poodle. The parents are not screwed up, just the idea of mix breeding without purpose to make money is screwed up. Developing a new breed by years of selective breeding is also not screwed up--even if you personaly don't like the dog or see a need for it. Obviously others feel differently.

As long as they are breeding by selecting for health, temperament, and the "Labradoodle Standard" than who cares? My only problem lies with bad breeders--those who breed indescriminatly for profit, without regard to the animals, what happens to them, and where they end up: no clearnaces, guarantees, etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Word About "Labradoodles"

"Putting personal feelings aside, what I would wonder is even if the AKC did accept the "Labradoodle" as a breed, how would it prevent the non Australian Labradoodle Pedigrees from registering their litters?"

The same way it regulates that a Lab is a Lab and a Poodle is a Poodle. When a new breed is developed careful records of pedigrees are kept. For more info please see the AKC's website and look for the Fundation Stock Service. For any new breed, you have to have a certain number of generation of that breed recorded. For example, you could not register a Labradoodle unless there were at least 3 generation of Labradoodle to Labradoodle breeding--no puebred Labs or Poodles in the last 3 gens. They would only give a CH title in the ring to those who's coats met the breed standard. Those that shed would be disqualified. As with any breed, there are those with disqualifing faults. Good breeders will not breed those dogs. Labradoodles would work the same way.

I do personaly, believe they will gain reconition one day, but I never claimed to know when. Yet they have only been around for nearly 30 years and other new to the AKC breeds have been around for about 100 or so, but that doesn't mean in another 20 to 60 years of selective breeding that the AKC won't at some point reconize them.

"Some of the newly recongized breeds that you mentioned ie. the Duck Toller, has been around for hundreds of years not 30."

That's true, but who's to say that in another 60 years of selevtive breeding to the Labradoodle standard, that they won't eventually be recognized? No one said, they would be recognizing them in the 5 years.

Not knowing which photos you looked at, I cannot really answer that question. What I do know, is some breeders do breed to the standard, and others no not. That's the difference between doodle muts and the doodle breed.

If it was a true multigen breeder's page you were looking at and refering to, I can only assume one of two things:

1--perhaps the two litters were different ages. When they are born they do look much like Labs, other than some of the colors they come in, and after a few weeks, as with any longer or curlier breed, their coats change and grow.

2--perhaps one litter was a true multigen and maybe the other was only a 2nd or 3 generation that was still in the works. Although there is much less need for it than there used to be, some breeders are still breeding the earlier generations to add new lines or develope their own. It won't be much longer until this need is compleatly elminated and it will be easier to tell a pure Labradoodle from a Lab x Poodle Mix.

There are even more so called Labrador breeders doing the same, no clearances, no guarantees and the worst no knowledge of the breed.

"There are even more so called Labrador breeders doing the same, no clearances, no guarantees and the worst no knowledge of the breed."

For evey breed and type of dog out there, there are bad breeders. The only thing we can do about it is to educate the public to help them steer clear of them, and do our personal best to breed the best we can.

It's sad, but what else can you do...

You can try to influence people, but you can't control them unless they are breaking the law, which most bad breeders aren't. Some are, but most are just unethical, which in our free country is not a punishable crime.

So in the meantime who pays for all the experimenting being done to "try" and produce this new breed? The pups of course.

This logic says that havapoos, pekapugs are also worthy of being looked at as a breed.
I doubt the early lab breeders who worked with newfoundlands charged the equivalent of 2500$ for a dog that had such an unproven make up both in health and in all the supposed traits these dogs are bred for.

I think it is far too convenient for these labradoodle breeders NOT to have their breed recognized as this creates a situation where they not only do not have to show the stock they are breeding is proven but allows them to avoid the additional costs associated with registration and high stud fees.
Why would they pay for a CH sire (if they could get one anyhow) to create an unregister able pup?

The Labradoodle will never be an AKC breed, do your research. They have their own "registry" anyway. If they didn't get the prices that you sometimes see them asking, you wouldn't be so upset. For the most part I have seen prices from reputible breeders asking for the same prices that most labs are going for. They have expenses in breeding just like any other reputible breeder. There are good and bad breeders in ALL breeds so why would you expect it to be any different in breeders of mixed breeds? I don't want or need a labradoodle and it sounds like the same with you, so don't get your panties up in a bunch about it.

"So in the meantime who pays for all the experimenting being done to "try" and produce this new breed? The pups of course."

As far as the "good" breeders go, they are all finding good homes for their pups and have done health clearances, so how are the pups paying if they have a good home and are healthy? As far as the careless back yard breeders go, sure their pups pay for it as much as any back yard breeder's pups pay.

"This logic says that havapoos, pekapugs are also worthy of being looked at as a breed."

How do you figure? I'm only saying that true Australian Labradoodles, the selectively bred multigens, should maybe someday become recongnized, not that any hybrid or any 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd gen mix should be a new breed.

"I think it is far too convenient for these labradoodle breeders NOT to have their breed recognized as this creates a situation where they not only do not have to show the stock they are breeding is proven but allows them to avoid the additional costs associated with registration and high stud fees. ... Why would they pay for a CH sire (if they could get one anyhow) to create an unregister able pup?"

If you read any of the Labradoodle Club sites listed on the 1st post you'd see that they DO want to eventually become recognized by the AKC. Of course the Lab Poodle Mix breeders don't at all, BUT who says the good Australian Labradoodle breeders don't want AKC regoc? They do. They are working on developing a new breed, and what group of people doing that wouldn't want their breed recognized?

In fact, part of the reason they want it is to distinguish their dogs from the hybrid mutts. They are after all very different dogs. One is a 1st gen cross, the other a multigen. One has unpredictablew triats, the other consitent type. Etc, etc. They are as differnce as Labs and Newfys. The good breeders DO NOT want to be assicaited with the back yard crosses. AKC registration would help them a great deal to say "Hey, this is a Labardoodle, your so-called designer dog, that Lab Poodle cross, is nothing more than a mutt.

"The Labradoodle will never be an AKC breed, do your research. They have their own "registry" anyway."

Never say never. You can't honestly know what will happen in the future. If these breeders are serious about being recogzined they will follow the steps needed, as listed on the AKC's website in the Foundation Stock Service, to do so, no matter how long it takes. And of course they have their own clubs and registries, that's one of the first steps in being recognized. I get the feeling many of you have in fact, not done a lot of research as to how new breeds are developed and eventally gain AKC reg. I have. For years now. And I have read the AKC's site many times in regard to exactly this.

"I don't want or need a labradoodle and it sounds like the same with you, so don't get your panties up in a bunch about it."

That wasn't the nicest way to say it. Let's mind our manners. And, no I don't personaly want or need a Labradoodle, but that doesn't mean I won't stand up for something. As breeders, I believe in our right to breed a dog we love and have a passion for, and if I see someone else's dogs getting bashed all the time without all the facts being laid out, I don't think it's fair. It shouldn't matter if that breeder breeds the same dogs I like or not.

And if they consider it another breed, it doesn't even need to be discussed here. This is a LABRADOR forum.

When you think about it, where do you think the Labrador Retriever breed originated ? Read your history books on their origins. Each breed registered with the AKC had to begin somewhere and these pure bred dogs didn't fall down from the sky. It took mixing one pure bred dog with another pure bred dog or more to get the final results and the right to be called a purebred dog with AKC.

I'm not for breeding Labradoodles per say but I don't see why the Australian Labradoodle fanciers can't do their own thing as long as they are breeding responsibly.

I understand that. I only mention it here because the subject of Labradoodles DOES come up from time to time, as I mentioned in the 1st post. Besides, we are all dog lovers, are we not? This is a topic that effects us in some way, why shouldn't we disscuss it openly.

I only hope to educate people about the differences between Labradoodle muts and Labradoodles the breed. Most people are not even aware that there are two types of Labradoodles, some of those people are customers that need to know before buying, and others are breeders like ourselves, many of which are too close minded to even disscuss the topic. I think it's sad.

Why all the negativity? If you don't like the topic, you don't have read about it or post unproductive comments. Let's keep it a polite learning experience and let those who do have questions ask them.

Wonder if "Keep an Open Mind" wants to supplement their income a bit?

Finally, someone who understands.

Thank you.

"Wonder if "Keep an Open Mind" wants to supplement their income a bit?"

With what exactly? Are you trying to imply something? Because I already said, I don't own or breed these dogs. Matter of fact, I don't even sell my Lab pups to those who do because I feel that they can get their stock from multigen breeders and don't need to use pure Labs anymore.

I'm not hurting anyone, why are you so upset about this post? Get over yourself please. I won't resort to nastiness becuase I feel this is an important topic and I don't want this post deleleted due to people being rude.

If you don't have a legitimate question to ask about Labradoodles and you don't have anything nice to say, I'll thank you to please let it be.

"Wonder if "Keep an Open Mind" wants to supplement their income a bit?"

Is it really so hard for you to believe that someone would want to talk about something or that someone would stand up for something--even without it benefiting them in some way?

If you can't understand that concept, or if you are just too close minded to accept that some people love other dogs besides Labs, than I feel really sad for you.

If you truley belive that no one would talk about something with great passion even though it did not profit them to do so, it makes me wonder if you live by that rule as well. Do you only talk when you have something profitable to gain from it? Is that what you want people to belive about you? Cause your last post kinda made it sound that way.

Think before you speak.

"I'm not hurting anyone", yes, yourself.

"If you don't have a legitimate question to ask about Labradoodles...", no, I'll ask a labradoodle forum or breeder.

I'm not sure how you think I am hurting myself. I'm just fine, but thanks for your concern...

This negativity is getting old. When this post started, it was meant to open a disscussion, not a war. Why do you insist on being rude, even after I asked to leave it alone if you didn't have anything nice to say. What kind of people are so rude & oblivious. Get a life, and let those who are interested speak.

I will not continue to acknowlege this kind of chilish behavor. From now on, I will only respond to interested & respectful posters. Maygbe if no one responds to your behavior you fianlly get the message, then the rest of us can have a grown up disccusion about the real issues.

The original Aussie program has been abandoned ...

as explained by the late Anne Rogers Clark

A direct quote:

"Jump started in Australia as the perfect breed for the blind, a program was instituted and the results followed for a proper length of time, and has now been discontinued. The reasons: not all of the non-shedding promises held true. The animals produced were a little too full of themselves to be trust worthy guide dogs, plus the heritable disease of both breeds were very similar and were inherited into each new generation."

On The Topic of Labradoodles

The only ones left breeding the Poodle/Lab mixes are in it for the profit.

Re: The original Aussie program has been abandoned ...

The origional project was abandoned for the reasons you mentioned. After such time, others started their own breeding and research centers which then added other breeds of dogs to "fix" the problems of the origional project.

There are Labradoodle breeders out there that spend as much time and money on their dogs as many of us. These breeders do not breed for a profit, and many DO have current Labradoodles working as guide dogs again, as well as other assistance/service jobs and hunting Labradoodles that work in the field much like retrievers.

For the goals and objectives of such breeders please see the following links:

http://www.ilainc.com/ALAAgoalsandOBjectives.html

http://www.australianlabradoodleclub.us/Page2.html

http://www.uslabradoodle.com/huntingservice.html

I cringe every time i see the name labradoodles!

Yucky looking mixbreeds!

Sorry,, doodle lovers

Re: The original Aussie program has been abandoned ...

"The only ones left breeding the Poodle/Lab mixes are in it for the profit."

There's that money mention again. It's always about the money.

Maybe people think they're cute and just want one. Since when does a dog need a purpose other than to please it's owner? Labs shed horribly, have terrible heritable diseases, can be too full of themselves to be trust worthy guide dogs (not all make the cut) and not all are good hunters. So you could say lab breeders are in it for the profit too.

Unfortunelty due to all the "popularity" of Poodle mixes and "designer dogs" these days, Labradoodles have a bad rep. Many people see them just as you do. It's a shame for those Labradoodles that are not just mutts. I cringe when I see a Lab/Poodle mix too.

Re: Re: The original Aussie program has been abandoned ...

The fact is, many AKC purebreds, mostly members of the toy group, were bred as companions or "lap dogs." There are dogs bred just for companionship. Not all dogs work, hunt, or do anything extraordinary, so why not a Labradoodle? This dog is guide dog, an assistance dog, a hunting dog, and a companion.

The real reason most people who don't like Labradoodles is due to the common misconception that they are all just mutts since so mnay of them are no different than any other cross breed. They just can't get past that fact to see beyond to the true Australian Labradoodle.

It would help a great deal if the breed had a better name, most importantly one that doesn't sound like Labradoodle. To me, a Labradoodle should only refer to Lab/Poodle mixes, there really should be a more fitting name given to what is currently known as the Australian Labradoodle. That would clear things up a bit.

A labradoodle=lab/poodle mix.

"They only use multigeneration Labradoodles who meet their standard and have predictable and consistent breed traits, unlike the hybrid mutts."

I wonder why it is that the original labradoodle breeding program in Australian was discontinued because of the inability to produce consistency in multiple traits from coat to shedding to temperment.

From what I've researched, temperment was the biggest issue- lots of aggressive or high-strung temperments in the original breeding program (which was more recently discontinued). I can't imagine that a bunch of private breeders (no matter how well-intentioned) have been able to overcome something that another well-respected breeding program (abandoned after decades because of the inability to produce consistency) wasn't able to?

I grow so weary of this argument. The mere fact that the original Australian breeding program was discontinued because of the inability to produce consistency says much more than posts such as these.

The fact remains that the project is back and producing true-to-type dogs with excellent temperament and health.

Just because something doesn't work the first time around, doesn't mean that it can't be worked on and corrected. If everone gave up with first time they had a problem we wouldn't have telephones, tvs, or many other modern things--selective breeding of dogs is do execption. Do you think the first attempt at a Labrador Retriever was perfect? Please.... It takes years and years to develop a new breed and work out all the flaws.

Don't take my word for it, see for yourself by visitng the many links I've offered in previous posts.

Maybe contact an agency that uses Australian Labradoodles as guide dogs and see how they feel about their dogs.

Also, if there were so mnay problems with bad temperament in the dogs today, so many people would not be in love with them as wonderful family pets. Go on an Australain Labradoodle chat forum like this one: http://disc.server.com/Indices/178913.html
and see what they have to say about their dogs. Ask them these questions and get real answers that will explain it all in much more detail.

Not buying into your propaganda; too bad the public does. nt

Re: Not buying into your propaganda; too bad the public does. nt

For the last time, I'm not selling anything. I am not a breeder of these dogs. I just think it's disrepectful when ALL Labradoodles are clumped into the same catagory when in reality, they are two completlty differnt types of Labradoodles--Mutts and the Breed. However, I understand that this misunderstanding comes from lack of knowlege on the subject, therefor, I'm only trying to clarify a few things about these dogs. If you don't believe it, fine, it's your choice. I'm only trying to explain something, I'm not trying to sell you one.

Re: Re: Not buying into your propaganda; too bad the public does. nt

Labradoodle=Mutt

The End

Care to talk about Labrador Retrievers on this Labrador Retriever Forum???

Re: Re: Re: Not buying into your propaganda; too bad the public does. nt

If you have nothing more to say on the topic that's absoltuley fine, but if others wish to post in sincerity, I don't see why they can't.

Please, if anyone else had anything to add, without being disrespectful, or if anyone still had any questions, feel free to continue this conversation. Pay no mind to the rude and closeminded.

Likewise, if eveyone else feels they have nothing more to say, than simply do not post anything. There is little point in posting that you don't want to talk about the topic--other than to be rude.

, Jill, remove this thread!

There is only one type of Poodle/Lab mix and that is a mutt ...

Whether they be F1's, F2's or F30's for that matter, they are all mutts.

This is what I'm not buying into... the persuasive manner in which you are trying to 'sell' these mutts as a breed and expect us to give due respect to the producers (notice I didn't call them breeders?) of these mutts.

There is no misunderstanding or lack of knowledge; nor is any clarification needed... a mutt is a mutt, is a mutt.

Our challenge is to continually educate the public that no matter what the mutt producers tell them, they don't have a purebred dog. They have a mutt and a mighty expensive one at that.

I've said what I wanted to say. I've posted many informational links.

I'm not asking everyone to share my feelings or to start breeding Labradoodles or to even consider owning one. I just wanted to take the opprotunity, since Labradoodles were brought up earlier today in another post, to clear the air about common misconceptions.

If it proved anything, it's that the misconceptions really are quite common, as it seems many here still share them.

And if I helped even just one person to understand a little more about these dogs and the difference between the Lab/Poodle Cross and what's currently known as the Australian Labradoodle, than I've accomplished something, and if not, at least I tryed. That's all one can really do at the end of the day.

Good night, and thanks for reading.

If anyone wishes to educate themselves further aa respected members of the dog world or just as dog lovers in general, there is much research that can be done, and there are lots of way to learn and come to your own conclusions on the topic.

Don't let anyone, including myself, tell you what to think, feel, or believe--just don't be mean or rude to others who happen to believe differently than yourself.

Treating others with the same respect you'd like to recieve is far more rewarding than being a bully. Nobody likes a bully, more importantly, nobody respects a bully.

Best wishes!

One final word

I respectfully ask that this thread not be removed, so that anyone who has not yet read it, may do so. As for me, I've said my piece. Perhaps if anything needs to be removed, it's just those posters who were very dissrespectful.

Sounds like an infomertial.

**It takes years and years to develop a new breed and work out all the flaws.**

I missed the part where they admit flaws or claim the breed is a work in progress. Labradoodle breeders gained the reputation as snake oil salesmen when they sold and priced their first generation mutts as superior animals to their purebred sires and dams.

LDs rise to popularity was media driven by one fool and his money reporter - who believed he had bought a dog that was cleaner, healthier and more trainable than its disease ridden purebred relative. They became the have-to-have yuppie dog. But LDs were being rescued almost immediately - and not by their breeders.

Open Mind and the like will have their hands full trying to legitimize what has been one of the most lucriative fleecings of the pet buying public in the history of purebred dogs.

Ba bye, no thank you!

You're thinking of the mutts, Lab/Poodle mixes, and your right, however, it's a totally different story with the Australian Labradoodle. You'd understand that if you had all the facts instead of just half the story, but I can see how'd you'd think that.

With all the media attention and designer dogs out there, what could anyone else think. The timing is very very bad for the Australain Labradoodle, as if mutts were not to pupular right now, people would see these dogs for what they really are, and not confuse them with their cousins the Lab/Poodle crosses.

FYI: The Australain Labradoodle is not just dirived from a Lab and a Poodle, other breeders have been used. And what makes them a breed, recognized or not, is that they are true to type. Mutts are mutts because you never know what you're going to get or which parent they will take after, not so with a true Australain Labradoodle.

Here again, it all boils down to overpopularity of mutts, hybrids, and the media. Peoplejust confuse the two--most of the time not even realizing there's a difference.

Good night everyone. I hope this post doesn't get deleted, but if it does, so be it. It all seems to be falling on deaf ears anyway. Good thing I don't breed these dogs. I wouldn't wish this on any breeder.

I'll stick to my Labs thank you. It may be a very competative breed with lots of politics involved, but it pales in comparison to what the Australian Labradoodles breeders are up against.

Oh, and as for the hybrids and all the mutts from pet stores and back yard breeders, I hope they all dissapear and this fad dies soon. I know it will never go away completly, but I don't expect it to hold this level of pupularity forever either.

"The fact remains that the project is back and producing true-to-type dogs with excellent temperament and health."

Um, no. The *original* program has disbanded as stated and is *not* back. Others (private breeders and even other research projects) have tried to pick up where the original left off, but having known a couple of people involved in the original breeding project (in Australia), it is not there and is not "coming back" because of lack of consistency.

Where are you getting your information?

Just an observation...unless I missed it, at no place in this thread did "Keep an Open Mind" ever identify him/herself by name or kennel.

I firmly believe that, unless one is willing to reveal who they are, there will always be a question as to the validity of the information provided and the sincerity of the poster.

JMHO

Sorry I was not online for a bit, but "Keep an open mind" is a troll! Half of the posts on this thread are from this person, stirring the pot and keeping the thread on the top of the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Best response to the thread is to ignore it.

Well I checked several of those web sites and their recommended US breeders to see if I was missing some information about these mixes. First from one of the national club's sites:
"When you pay top dollar you want to make certain you get a top-notch dog."

I then clicked on several of their recommended "breeders" of these top-notch dogs. They had plenty of litters coming, several had no health clearances listed, they had no pedigrees listed, they already were advertising "Christmas puppies", one is advertising how they now also bought their first "golden doodle" to start breeding as soon as she is two, etc. but it's "not about the money"........

We have no interest in any of this about the mutts.

if you like the doodle...just buy a poodle and give it an all-over-one-length haircut...looks just like most lab/poodle crosses I know!!!

After having Labradors for over 20 years and working for a very well established Standard Poodle breeder whose program is over 40 years old, I see absolutely no reason what so ever to support or encourage this sort of cross...at all. End of story.

What gets me about this is all the nonsense about a non-allergenic breed. Many, if not most people with pet allergies are allergic to the dander in the skin, not the hair itself. When I was a kid we had to get rid of our poodles because my allergies to animal dander got so bad.