Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raffle License at Specialties??

Most Lab clubs hold raffles during their Specialties. Are there clubs that apply for a license to do so, or do most just do it?

I was talking to a friend today who suggested that it wasn't a bad idea to "get legal" and that there are penalties for not doing so.

Any thoughts?

Re: Raffle License at Specialties??

THEIR DONATIONS

Re: Re: Raffle License at Specialties??

yea, but, we're still making money. Is it no big deal to do this "quietly" or is something to worry about???

My thought is it's best to leave well enough alone, but maybe I'm wrong??? Is it a big deal to get a license???

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

THEIR DONATIONS

Re: Re: Re: Raffle License at Specialties??

In some states raffles are not legal so you really need to check on your state laws before trying to get a license. Some clubs have a "chinese auction/raffle" to get around the rule or law in their own jurisdiction.

Re: Raffle License at Specialties??

In WI you pay $25 for a raffle license, just fill out a form and pay the money a month ahead of scheduled event (our local kennel club does this for the one raffle we have each year at our annual Dog Fair). Here is the info and I suspect other states may be similar: http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docs_view2.asp?docid=231

Other clubs I have been or am in have had raffles without getting the license. I doubt the state revenue people have time to try and dig up every event that might have a raffle, especially on a weekend.

Re: Re: Raffle License at Specialties??

Cheryl is right. The requirements in this area are really state specific. You need to see what the requirements are in your own state.

In my state, this falls under the control of the Office of the Attorney General. I would get really nervous trying to run afoul of the Attorney General.

In some states, it is also considered a form of gambling and thus can be tightly controlled. As a practical matter, if someone is holding a raffle they usually advertise it, especially if they are trying to get funds from the public. If it is advertised, then a whole lot of people will probably know about it. I personally would not be very comfortable relying on the largess of the Attorney General to ignore a violation. Also, there may be a complaint process that anyone can file against an alleged violation.

Do you have any PETA people living in your area?? I've been told that they really LOVE dog clubs AND breeders. Point is that in some states anyone and his uncle can file a complaint.

For a prosecutor, if someone files a complaint, it is probably one of the easiest cases to prove. If there are fines involved, they could be extremely costly to an organization, especially if you have to lump legal fees for defending against a complaint.

I would always check with an attorney to see what the law is in your state. People generally don't like to pay attorneys but it may be money well-spent.

Didn't Caesar once say: "No good deed goes unpunished."