Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canidae or California Natural food

Does anyone have any experience with either of these foods, or both? Considering they have one protein source, no grains, and contain no ingredients that come from outside the U.S. I am seriously considering a change. California Natural is made by Natura, the same company that makes Innova. Thanks - if you prefer you can email me privately.

Re: Canidae or California Natural food

Mine loved both. Tried Canidae L&R for almost a month and it made the skin in their ears dark pink (no gunk)and some body scratching. I changed to Cal. Nat. L&R and everything's looking good so far (1 month). Stools always seem bigger after a change (with both foods) but normalized after they eat it for a while.

Greg,

Canidae does contain a grain..rice as does CN L&R and C&R.

California Natural Herring and Sweet Potatoe doesn't contain grain....Also Natura's Evo is grain free.

Erin

You're absolutely right, Erin, and I should have been more specific. My concerns aren't about rice, but relate to other grains - corn, wheat, and barley that are somewhat more tied to allergies.

While on a Duck and Potato formula, my dogs had poops that were firm at first and very soft at the end. I'm hesitant to try potato again.

I switched three months ago from Diamond Naturals C&R to the Canidae all life stages. So far so good and their coats are shinny seems like less shedding so far but could be the season. Their stools are much more compact and firm with this new food. I'm impressed with the Canidae so far

I have used both in the past for my 2.5 year-old lab girl. She was on California Natural Puppy Chicken and Rice when we got her at 12 months. We had her on that until 18 months and then adult Chicken and Rice several months after that. She had yeasty ears on and off on that regimen. Switched then to Candidae Chicken and then to All Stages for about 4-5 months.

Results: Ear problems got a bit worse on the Candidae and there was more scratching and itching. Vet says girl is slightly allergic. Currently on Innova and things have gotten slightly better. Stools on the Candidae were about double that on the Cal Natural. It was amazing how little waste there was with that brand.

I've done some more research and I am currently thinking that I will return to the California Natural and try their Lamb and Rice or better still go with the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon which I understand is grainless. Met a fellow at Newberryport in New Hampshire who was walking his Huskie. His dog was on that and I have rarely seen a more beautiful coat than on that dog. He mentioned that Solid Gold had made a huge difference with him.

Hope this helps.

Food Recall

Industry Recall Update for August 30, 2007
All CANIDAE Pet Food products are safe and not part of the recall.

In light of the unfortunate pet food recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, we want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our products. CANIDAE® Pet Foods in no way was, or is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in any of the recalled production facilities.

It appears from the latest news within our industry that all recalls were from protein concentrates imported from China. CANIDAE does not use any protein concentrates, or grain fractions and we do not import any ingredients from China or overseas.

CANIDAE Pet Foods continues its commitment in providing your pets with the most nutritious, palatable products on the market, and will continue the use of all US origin ingredients.

All of our products are made the “CANIDAE Way” with superior quality in every bag and can with NO corn, wheat, soy, grain fractions or fillers – and naturally preserved!

Our heartfelt concerns go out to all those who were affected by the recall.

Never used Canidae but have used CN with success for an allergic dog.

The CN puppy formula is great as well. However, i don't feel the adult formula is high enough for a growing Lab being switched to adult (21% protein).

Nor good for a senior that needs to maintain muscle mass when being less active.

Re: Re: Canidae or California Natural food

Patty-

I agree with you. That's why I supplement with eggs several times a week and yogurt.

Hey, it seems that she is eating better than me!!

Is that what they mean when they say a "dog's life"???

Thanks to everyone who responded, both on the forum and privately. And the decision is....

{{{drum roll}}}...

California Natural, Lamb & Rice Adult formula. The decision maker for me in the end was looking at the extremely short ingredient list and looking at a couple of incredible dogs who have been on this diet. I have three bitches due in season, and they'll be blowing coat a few weeks after that, so I should see the results pretty soon. I'll keep you guys posted!

Re: Re: Canidae or California Natural food

Greg-

Best of luck to you. It is a very excellent dog food. Your crew is happy to have someone like you to go the extra mile for their benefit.

"Hey, it seems that she is eating better than me!!

Is that what they mean when they say a "dog's life"??? "

Rich, LOL

I often tell people I take better care of my dogs than myself and they eat better than I do.

I always say when I die I want to come back as a Labrador living at my house.