Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

Hi all,

Another update since many have contacted me through this forum and privately with suggestions and are concerned! Thanks for caring!

NO improvement in the vicious watery diarrhea yet today! My main vet is on holidays so AGAIN went to my other vet since she wanted more fecal floats and exams done! (I know, pointless!)

Did 4 floats on various samples collected and NOTHING visible! What is most concerning is that pups who were fine now have diarrhea! (even though they were/are on Sulfa drugs!)

My vet decided to prescribe me some scour solution (for diarrhea) and Panacur (for parasites). In addition, I will continue with the sulpha drugs although, after 3 days, I would have expected SOME improvement and NOT other pups getting it, NONE of which is the case!!!!

I am concerned and scared that they will get really sick. So far, they are not acting sick but I do not want it to get to that point! Certainly this needs to stop!!!!!

Will monitor until tomorrow and if no improvement again, I am supposed to call the vet again. What is next? NO IDEA!!!!! If this can't be corrected soon, might eventually need I.V. for fluids. Not sure if that is something that might be needed relatively quickly or if I am just panicking some!!!! Will add some pedialite to their diets as well!!! They are drinking well (eating too).

So, that is it!!!! I HOPE things settle very soon!!!!! We have our final 4 shows for the summer (only 2 more total shows here before the new year) here in this province this weekend (3 hours from here) with 3 specials entered but I will not be going. If things settle tomorrow, my wife will go! If not, neither of us will go and the shows will be out!

I have told all new owners that they will not be getting pups for a while. On hold indefinitely for now until things are cured for a a few days! Will not fly a pup for at least 2 weeks!

If anyone can suggest a miracle cure, I would love to have it! Thanks for the suggestions to date.

Wade

Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

Metronidazole
Our slough is inhabited by beavers. Invariably, all the pups will come down with giardia. I treated the last litter with Panacur with no success. I went to the vet and asked for metronidazole. She thought maybe Albon would be better. Half got Albon and half got metronidazole. The albon pups had to have metronidazole. While their poo improved to soft ice cream consistency, the other pups had firm normal poo.
Lesson learned.

I agree... Metronidazole

Metronidazole definitely - also known as flagyl. The thing you have to guard against is dehydration. Pinch some folds of skin on their tummies together. Hold it for a couple of seconds, no more. When released, it should return to normal in a couple of seconds. If it sticks together you could have the beginnings of a life threatening situation.

Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

Good Luck

yup I would go with the Metronidazole as well. If it is coccidia Sulfa usually works but Giardia I find Flagyl works better
Good luck Wade

Hang in there, and get some HOT water Lysol and bleach and clean the daylights out of that pen. Rinse, Rinse , Rinse !!

Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

You might also consider putting them on the low residue diet made by eukanuba, that should help firm up the stools.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

Flagyl also helps heal the intestines and colon from the scouring.

Also, consider getting a probiotic into these babies--yogurt if you don't have Probios or one of the other specific probiotics for animals.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PUPPY DIARRHEA UPDATE (Aug. 30th)

I agree w/ other posters, in my case..."Metronidazole for sure"!! I had a seven wk pup w/ recurrent, explosive diarrhea...two or three courses of Metro., two rounds of Panacur-over two months, as well as a prescription diet of ID worked. Good luck!

I want to add after thinking about this situation. Recently I had an experience with a puppy food I had used for many years, changing their formula. It gave the pups loose to liquid poops. We tried everything but nothing seem to work.All the time the pups seemed normal. Till it dawned on me the food formula had changed. Sure enough I fasted them and served them a different food and the poops went away ...by the next day!

Hi,
I am not sure I have read the entire thread so sorry if someone has already suggested this. Try Diarsenal (spelling??). It is a natural clay that is very soothing to the gut. Sometimes once they are irritated it is hard to settle the gut and the diarrhea continues even after treatment. Earlier this year I had pups with diarrhea and I reached for probios. My vet suggested the diarsenal instead as my pups had a huge load of bacteria from the probios and felt this may be making matters worse. They immediately began to improve.
Good luck with your pups. I hope things are better.
Marlys

I agree that clay works wonders from the oesophagus to the anus - have personally never needed anything stronger for pups. It also has some natural anti-parasitic effects, although it may not work for giardia.

"Diarsanyl" is the name of the clay paste.