Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Specialty Shows

I have a bitch I have not shown since she was in puppy classes. She went through some rear high growing. She is now back together and lookin good. I am entering her in a Specialy Show. When she was a puppy she placed 3rd in her class at this show.

My question is which class to enter Open Yellow, Am Bred, Novice. She will be 18 month, 1 week before show closes.

The goal is to make it back in the ring for WB. Will breeder judges only look at the dog and not the class they came from.

I am also showing a couple of other bitches and am trying to not have to be in the ring back to back. I would like a breather between bitches but if the judge will not consider a dog from Novice, I will go in back to back.

TIA

Re: Specialty Shows

my vote is for Novice class

Re: Re: Specialty Shows

you can show her in Novice or ambred... Only in novice if she has not won a class more than 3 times..

They should make a 18-24 month class.

Jen

Re: Re: Re: Specialty Shows

YES! They should!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

you can show her in Novice or ambred... Only in novice if she has not won a class more than 3 times..

They should make a 18-24 month class.

Jen

Re: Re: Re: Specialty Shows

Those wins would have to be in Open, Am Bred or Bred by, not puppy classes. A dog can win many times in puppy classes and still be eligible for Novice.

Re: Specialty Shows

I'd put her in bred-by if I bred her. Otherwise it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Wherever you feel most comfortable. There will be fewer dogs in Novice and the handlers will usually also be novices. Am Bred is not usually divided by color, so you have that factor to deal with. If I couldn't show in bred-by, I'd show in open. If I had more than one bitch, I'd show in open and am-bred. But that's me - I'm comfortable showing.

Re: Re: Specialty Shows

Unless this dog is very mature- Open in my mind is a waste of your money and will be overlooked. Most of your Open dogs are mature and have been around the block . I love the Novice class as it gives a time for the dog to grow up and for you to be comofortable and I think the 3 wins are 3 wins in Novice or received a point from any class. Now AM-Bred is also a good class for that slow to mature dog or if you need longer to get your sea legs. I have a 4 year old bitch that I still show in AM-Bred and she now has 8 or is 9 points -- all from AMBred. She looks younger than her age so that is why I have left her there- and it has been lucky for me.

It is where your dog will look its best and where you feel you can do your best and enjoy yourself.