Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2nd favorite breed?

I think it's safe to assume that we all consider Labs number one in hearts, but as dog lovers most of us also have a soft spot for another breed or two, and might even have one just as a pet. I thought it might be fun to hear what everyone's second fav breeds are.

:)

Re: 2nd favorite breed?

I have 2 second favorites - American Staffordshire Terrier and Clumber Spaniel. I always wanted a boy to name Norman.

Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

Mastiff

Siberians for me...I have two and they get along with the Labs just dandy!

Re: Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

Chessie's have had them for years and most of them, females get along with my labs. The males are a little bit more dominate with my labs! They both have the same energy level, the chessie's have the attitude that what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine and the labs have the attitude that what is mine is yours now, so everything works out wonderful.
Both breeds can be as silly as the other and they get into pretty much the same trouble!

Just realized I forgot to post my other favs, lol.

Other than my Labbies, I also adore Pugs, (which I do not own, but have friends who do), Bulldogs, (have one as a pet that we adopted when he was just a young adult), and Golden Retrievers (of which I grew up with from the time I was a year old).

Dalmatians. I was a fancier first, had them for 15 years, my first Lab came to us in 1993.

I have an AWS that I just love. Very different from the Labs but a fabulous retriever.

I also have a Lab named Norman!

What does AWS stand for? I'm not familar with that abbr.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

Yes, for you that do tech messaging, please educate us that don't?

American Water Spaniel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

AWS is American Water Spaniel. I 've never had another breed, but if I were to get a small dog, I might try a Broder Terrier- an otter head to go with the otter tail.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

Oops- that's Border Terrier!

http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Papillons! I don't have one, but I sure would like to have one!

Newfoundlands and/or bulldog. I've tried to talk my husband into one...no luck yet!

I think everyone needs a Chihuahua!

mini poodle

I have 2 second breeds. Of course chihuahua's they are a hoot.and Aussie's or ACD's right up on the top of the list. I have finished 2 ACD's.
But I would like to try a Crested or Italian greyhound. I Have done Greyhound rescue.

Love my Corgi's-- although it may be the British blood. Grew up with Lab's and they will always be first but the short legged guys think they are JUST AS BIG!

I heard that whippets are a riot and very clean animals as long as you can keep them in the yard.
They are supposed to very funny and playful?

I have a mutt. Love her to death. All should rescue a mutt. :)

English cockers! Love them; they're so sweet!

I have to join in on this one. I have owned (and loved) Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for the last 10 years. They are great little dogs and they get along great with the Labs. Last year I added a Japanese Chin to the herd. What a fun breed this is! They are clean, smart and they LOVE the Labs, too!!

We love weims, but unfortunately will never get one... we rather stick to our labs solely then risk being accused of trying to create a silver But I know a show person or two with some nice weims and they are characters

Every lab needs a jack russell :)

Irish wolf hounds. I've loved them ever since I saw my fist one as a child. My house is too small or else I would own one with my lab. I though I might like a maltese too, but I would be scared of breaking it

Beagles! Gotta love 'em. I grew up with them; my father hunted rabbits...coolest little guys! Real characters.

I want a whippet.

I love mini-dachshunds. I had one for 13 years until early this year. I wouldn't have another though because of the back issues.

I love my little mixed-breed rescue boy and he adores me. He socializes all my puppies to small dogs, so he does have a purpose, but mainly, he is my very best friend!!!!

I LOVE Border Terriers....They have the cutest little scruffy faces, sort of like a baby sea otter! My youngest Labrador "Surfer" has a little female Border Terrier girlfriend at work...she kicks his big old butt every day and he loves that!

Flat Coat, some day I will have a flat coated retriever....

and someday if i want a smaller dog, i'll have a field spaniel..

but i think i'll be labs all the way, when i'm too old for labs, i'm too old to be

barb

Besides my Labs I have 2 rescued Am Staffs/Pits (they are GREAT dogs) and 4 pugs. I have shown the pugs in breed, agility and rally and had only minimal success breeding them (only 1 out of my 3 litter attempts has had surviving puppies....heartbreaking).

rotts. My alpha girl has always LOVED labradors and she lets them get away with ANYTHING. Even the pups will bounce up to her and wiggle and kiss her face and steal the precious ball from between her teeth...

when i was little, i loved german shepherds too probably due to watching rin tin tin...

We adore the Labradors, but we also like German shepherds. They're great dogs, but do your research and watch your bloodlines for good temperament and orthopedic soundness.

Cathy M.

shih tzu or mini schnauzers :)

I adore my Labbies and my Doberman, but if I could pick ANY dog I think French Bulldog. I could never give up all the years invested in the Labs to switch to Frenchies, but never say never. ha haha

I have had Rotties and Jack Russels. They were fabulous as well, just not my personality type.

"when i'm too old for labs, i'm too old to be"

You're so right, Barb.

I don't have one but I am a huge fan of the Papillion. Some day I hope to add one to the family.

Over the years we have had a few small breed dogs with our Lab family. My all time favorite was our little man Rocky the Shihtzu. He had the best temperment with everyone and every dog he came in contact with.

Now we own a 1 yr old Mini Schnauzer and a 9 yr old Dachshund. They run the show with the Labradors. It's like having 2 under 20 pound herding dogs in our home. The Schnauzer is a handful but I am learning how to handle the terrier breed Cesar's Way (-:

We also had a very sound German Shepard for many years. She was one of those old fashioned german bloodlines where her back didn't slope down like so many of them nowdays do.

My husband and I can't make our minds up on which small breed we want to end up with when we are too old to deal with all the Labs. We got very lucky withour 9 yr old Dachshund. She has been a dream dog with no health or back problems. EVery other person who owns a mini dachshund has told me their dog has needed to have back surgery. That is scary. Our Nikki is a shorter bodied Doxie so I don't know if that has made a differenc in her not having disc problems.

If it weren't for all the grooming, I would love to get another mild mannered Shihtzu. We really like our terror dog the Schnauzer but I wouldn't want to get another male in that breed. Way to terriitorial and lifting his leg all the time, marking everything in site if I am not right there to watch him.

My mother has had the best luck adopting small dogs from the humane society so who knows, maybe we'll adopt a mixed breed when we are slowing down.

I am looking to have a border terrier in my next life, love them!!!

Jen

I have a 13 year old Mini Dachshund, Scooter and he's just the best dog ever!! He's raised all of our labbies! We've always let him set the standard for how rough he's willing to be played with by the pups, and when he's had enough, he swings his butt around and BLAMMO!! Sends 'em flying!! By the time they're 85lbs, just a snarl from him drops them to their bellies in submission:) At night, he stands on his hind legs and cleans everybody's faces and ears before bed...just his ritual. He's my shadow and I just adore him. He's amazing with all people and loves children in particular. A one-of-a-kind dog for sure:)

sussex spaniels
one in never enough so now i have three

Don't have one yet but a Belgian Tervuren 2nd to that is a Australian Shepherd.

sussex spaniels... your right one is never enough.. now I have 4..

I grew up with Weims, so they are my first love, but my other breed is Parson Russell terriers (though we also have 2 Min Pins) I love the tenacious attitude and workabliy of the terriers.

god bless you Tiff, i cant deal with Min Pins... They are just too evil little dogs...

Back in 95 i went to the Tarheel circuit for the 1st time, the handler i worked for at the time brought 6 of the little suckers, all they did was bark and scream all 7 days we were there.... Never again!!

Jen

We had Border Terriers along with the Labs while my children were growing up and they are great dogs!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2nd favorite breed?

Defintly German shepherds. I love the loyalty and the devotion I see with them.
E.

I want a Corgi SO BAD! Cardigan or Pembroke? Doesn't matter. When the last kid (human) is out of the nest, I'm getting one because they can't complain and Corgis think they are labs...they just have shorter legs!

Well I just bought my first Standard Manchester Terrier, a show quality male who will be starting his show career in October. Never had a terrier before. He loves the labs but I think they are a little intimadated by him. I like the sleek look and they are not a sparring breed, " The Gentleman's Terrier".
Now to see if I can show two breeds!

Over the years we have had Beagles, German Short Hair Pointers, Springer Spaniels, Rotti, a rescue Beagle/Basset mix and other mixed breeds.

Labs will always be my first choice but I would love a Boxer.