Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Car sick

I took my 5 mo to her first show today and she was so very car sick from the 2 1/2 hour drive. My first mistake was i gave her a cup of food before we left. Wont do that again. I do drive her around locally but I have found any ride longer then 1 hour she gets sick. Any suggestions to combat car sickness?

Re: Car sick

I had the same problem with my pup. It lasted much longer than any other dog I've had, but she did eventually outgrow it at about a year of age.

I used ginger capsules, available from a health food store, to help her and they seemed very effective.

Re: Re: Car sick

Try a ground strap on your vehicle's axle. It cuts down on static eletricity.

Hey Christina,

I have a couple here that got terribly carsick as puppies. I would always put them either in front of an A/C vent, or if they were in the back, cracked a window for them to get fresh air. I also offered a tiny amount of water, just enough to moisten the lips and tongue, whenever we stopped. Mine did outgrow it too, so there is hope!

I've dealt with lots of car sick dogs (one of the many things I fix when socializing dogs for the show ring.) I've found that the best long term results come from a combination of long car trips (2+ hours) and being in a crate next to an experienced traveler. If possible, I don't take them out of the car until we reach the destination. I have a special keychain that allows me to leave the car running if I take a pee-break. It easily disconnects and the ignition key is on one end and the remote unlock is on the part that I take with me. It's important that they realize that every time you stop is not a time they are coming out of the car, otherwise traffic, red lights, railroad crossings and the like will get them all excited. You also want to avoid talking to them or even acknowledging them while you are driving. First of all, you need to pay attention to the road. Second, you would be rewarding the nervous behavior. The long term goal is to have them consider the car a place to take a long nap. I don't use any medications or any other additions. I might withhold food right before the trip. I usually don't have water in the crates while I'm driving, but that's because of sloshing. Tough cases might need longer trips... Good luck!

Let me throw this out there. We had a cat we used to take with us on vacation, along with the dogs. The cat would be fine for 300 miles then get car sickness. On the return trip the cat would get car sick within the first hour then be okay for the rest of the trip. I told my wife I thought the cat was getting dizzy (then sick) from looking at the tree tops as we drove past them (northern Wisconsin). So I started putting a towel up on the passenger side window and it made a big difference. No more sick cat.

Thanks everyone, I want to try to take her to another show 3 hrs + next weekend. I think I will try to crate her in the middle section with a towel to cover the view. She was all the way in the back of the truck with the barrier. I agree, she looks dizzy when I look at her so I think she is watching the trees LOL. TY

Two observations/suggestions: you mentioned that the dog was "way in the back past the barrier"...was there any chance that exhaust fumes might have affected the dog?

Another thing I've noticed with my own dogs is that they travel better in open wire crates than in vari-kennel style crates. The motion coupled with the enclosure causes some of mine to get sick also...kind of like when I would go "below decks" on my dad's sailboat years ago...I'd get seasick every time!

""...was there any chance that exhaust fumes might have affected the dog?"

Doubt it, its a trail blazer, the air was on full blast for her and it was on that recycle internal air button (what do they call that button anyway )But I even get car sick if I sit in the back seat of any auto, so I do think it may have been that she felt it more being back there. Never had a car sick lab, but the crate it will be next time (my other girl was back there without issue).

I have give a tums, and even a tad bit of pepto before I left the house for a boy who always got a little car sick. It seemed to help.

I have a suburban, and I know it affects the car sick ones if they ride in the back. I haven't had this problem in a while, sometimes, just good strong cool air works best. Same as if you get a like nausea.

maybe trying to moving her to the back sit near the vents??? Keep lot's of towels on hand.

and they work very well on people too Les :) BTW I still have your bottle *LOL*
Dawn

If you have a Trailblazer, don't think you can't have exhaust fumes...the bottom seal on the rear door of mine was loose and it did let fumes in. The rear cargo ajar light did NOT come on. Just check it to make sure it is secure on the metal frame. If not, you can pull the seal off the metal "rim", insert silicone caulking (like you use around a bathtub or shower) and put it back on firmly, close the door to hold in place until caulking is set.

Another thing you can try is gingersnap cookies.

you can also try benedryl 1mg. per pound body weight. It doesn't make most animals drowsy at this dose but you might want to try it at home first. Most over the counter benedryl caps are 25 mg. per capsule. Also a new product on the market is Cerenia, made by Pfizer. Comes as an inj. or tablet, dosed once a day, supposed to be god's gift for vomiting, even parvo.Is given at a higher dose for car sickness but Dr. B Beaver (well known behaviorist)says it works.

we always put a non-skid rug in the crate under the bed to help the dog from sliding around in the crate...big help!!