Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ACE OF SPAYS, LLC

I was reading in a local paper about this group (www.njace.org) offering a low cost "quality" spay and neutering clinic.

Here's the kicker...Puppies and kittens can be as young as 8 weeks! (male dogs, $85, female dogs, $95)

While I acknowledge the value of their services, it really bothers me how J.Q. Public will be thinking that it is "normal" and OK to spay and neuter so early.

Re: ACE OF SPAYS, LLC

Do you know that in Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio & the Carolinas, that those states do not humanely euthanize. They use the gas chamber or, they can shoot the dog once in the head, with a 22 - 1 bullet whether the dog dies immediately, or left to painfully die. That's legal in those states. And, in those states, the Labrador Retriever is the #1 dog occupying the shelters. More Labradors are killed in those shelters on a weekly basis than any breed anywhere else. Hounds are #2. Are you aware of just how many great dogs are killed in the shelters every year - we're talking in the millions. Here on Long Island (in NY), we have 16 municipal kill shelters and approximately 2,300 dogs are killed every WEEK. So, I, too, might not like the early spay/neuter BUT, if it helps the over population than I'm all for it. You never know when one of those great dogs being killed is a dog you bred. Don't for one minute think it cannot happen. Don't ever think that just because you tell a puppy buyer that you will take the dog back or even if they sign a contract, that the buyer will remember that down the road or, even care. 2 weeks after they purchase from you they won't even remember your name. Rescue groups cannot save all of them. We must do our part and spay/neuter - no matter what the age.

Re: Re: ACE OF SPAYS, LLC

Marjorie,
I have to say I totally agree with you. Before I became a Vet Tech 19 years ago I worked in an animal shelter. So many wonderful, sweet loving dogs and cats (mixed breed and pure bred too) were euthanized for lack of space than you can imagine! I believe that early spay neuter programs are very neccesary. The average family has no idea how to manage an intact male or female dog or cat. Many people have children that will accidentally let a bitch in heat out the door thus adding to the pet over population problem. Dogs can have two litters per year and cats can have three per year. If you do the math the equation shows more animals in need of homes then there are homes to be had. Years ago I was one of those animal control officers that had to end my day by deciding who got to live and who had to be euthanized. I still have so much guilt and saddness in my heart over doing that part of my job. To me....it is better to prevent an over population of pets than to deal with it once they are born. As a Vet Tech we still see many accidental breedings of pure bred dogs because many breeders are insisting that the bitches have at least one heat before being spayed. Again...the average pet person is not experienced enough to handle an intact dog or to look for signs of pyo after a heat ends. I must say that I have had dogs all my life that were spayed or neuter young. I have never had a female with urinary incontinence problem due to an early spay and all my dogs have lived well into there teens. So before we all judge others to harshly for trying to do there job...we must all look at the entire picture and each individual situation. No flames please....just something to keep in mind!

Re: Re: Re: ACE OF SPAYS, LLC

The day they enforce early spay neuter is the day I get out of dogs. The reproductive organs create proper and balanced emotional, psychological and structural growth in dogs...their importance is beyond reproduction. I will never advocate maiming our puppies because of the wahoos who don't care. The only thing that will change is the health and welfare of MY puppies...the wahoos will still have their intact dogs tied to the bumpers of their cars whether I spay/neuter or not.

Once again, we do not have an over population problem, we have a retention problem. You can spay and neuter your puppies before they leave, but the mutts tied to chains or roaming the streets will remain intact, people will pick them up for $50, dump them when they become dogs, and we will have just as many dogs in the shelters.
I have worked in shelters and rescues and it is a very rare occurence that a well bred dog goes through the doors...and when it does, it is promptly redeemed or adopted out just as fast (with the exception of beagles who wander like the devil)!.
Even in lab rescue, I see very few dogs that are well bred. We screen our buyers to make sure only the most repsonsible ones get our puppies...the ones that we turn away will always find another dog as there are more than enough puppy mills and BYBs to meet the demand. If we create mandatory spay/neuter laws, then they will have to buy their disposable commodities on the black market, but they will still be able to get them. THESE people are the problem.

You can not legislate responsibility...it is not possible. We do not have too many pets...we have too many pets being thrown away and the mills and BYBs will always be happy to replace those puppies once they are no longer cute or convenient.

I think what needs to be mandated is humane animal education starting in elementary grades. I also think every high school level child should have to go on a tour of their local animal control.

I'm with Just breeder...

It's not the answer. When they come and force you to spay and neuter your breeding animals, then come back and tell us how great it is. That being said - low cost spay neuter clinics are a good thing - I just can't advocate spaying animals that young. They NEVER mature properly.