Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thyroid medication

I have a female that is on thyroid meds. She gets .3mg of Levothyroxine twice a day. Levothyroxine is the generic for Synthroid. My husband is on .15mg of Synthroid. My husbands dosage was changed and I have a ton of Synthroid left. I was thinking that I could give my female two of his Synthroid twice a day since is the non-generic form of what she normally takes. I asked the vet and they said that we could give it to her but that she might metabolize it differently because it is the non-generic form. She said it is up to us if we want to give it to her and to let her know what we decide. I am wondering if anyone has given the generic vs. non-generic form and what the results were. Or do you think it really matters which form she gets? I thought the vet would have had a better answer for us so I need a little help. Feel free to e-mail me if you like.

Re: Thyroid medication

Why don't you ask a pharmacist what the pharmacological differences between the two are and what the differences mean to metabolizing the drug.