Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enucleation

Has anyone had any experience with an enucleation procedure? If so, would be interested to hear about it. Also, whether or not you considered a prosthetic.
Thanks.

Re: Enucleation

I have assisted in enucleation(the surgical procedure). What kind of injury or disease process your dog is experiencing will determine your choice of prosthetic or no prosthetic-personally I would not.
JMO
Lisa

Yes, my first pug had to have an eye removed. We had the surgery done at our vet school.
We did not put in a prosthetic eye because she had a severe infection and they were afraid that would make things not heal well. She did just great -- came home that night and lept up on the couch!.
She didn't care that she was missing an eye nor did we and often people didn't even notice at first glance. She went on to run in agility trials and earned many titles.
She died way too early in life (last year at age 6) unrelated to any eye problems and I miss her so much.
Good luck with your dog.

I have a rescue who had enucleation, both eyes. He was young when it was needed (from uncontrollable glaucoma) so we did have the prosthetics. He really did just fine with the procedure and was in a whole lot less pain after surgery, no regrets!