Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much do you feed?

I was just wondering how much most you feed your dogs and what do you feed?...Just curious

Re: How much do you feed?

Nutro Ultra Adult. Most of the gang gets 2 cups am and 2 cups pm.

An I bet every single person will have a different answer. It depends on what works best for you and what you dogs metabolism and activity level is like for how much to give. I always say try to stay clear of foods with byproducts, chemicals and fillers.

Depends on the food, size and age of your dog, their activity level, etc. I feed Canidae - most of my adults get 2 cups per day. The more active one gets 2.5 cups and the puppy gets 4 cups right now.I look at how they look and increase/decrease accordingly.

Royal Canin. 2 cups twice a day for a very active girl.

1 1/2 cups twice a day for my 2 active girls.
1 cup twice a day for my blind dog.
2-3 cups twice a day for my almost 2 year old boy.

Pro Plan Turkey and Barley 1 cup twice a day and more if they are going to be quite active.

Kirkland - The girls eat around 2.5 cups and the boys are 3 to 3.5 cups.

Natures Variety Instinct.

4 yr old - 2 cups per day
14 month old - 2 3/4 cups per day

Diamond Nat' chix and rice

everyone is fed x2 daily and get a total of 3-6 c's depending on the dog and their activity level

everyone gets a cpl of raw chicken backs each wk and marrow bones twice a wk, they LOVE those!

Pro Plan Performance, 3 cups a day, split into 2 meals.

depends on the dog
two eat solid gold, one gets 1 1/2 cups am, 1 3/4 cups pm, the other gets 1.75 am and 2 cups pm
other dog eats KO, gets 2 1/2 cups am and 3 cups pm
all dogs get fresh fruit or vegies in evening meal

barb

HOw about a nine week old puppy? Per the breeder recommendation, I'm giving her 1/2 cup twice a day. Seems sooo little. How do I know when to increase the amount?

That doesn't sound like enough. My pups get between 1/2 and 3/4 3x a day at that age. But it depends on what food you are feeding and the kcal/cup as well.

You have to judge by how your pup looks to know when to increase the amount.

Ribs should not be showing but be palpatable and there should be a slight waist line.

That's not much food at all! Is she show-bred, or field-bred? Perhaps a slighter, field-bred puppy gets less, but my show-bred puppies are eating 3/4-1 cup, 3x day by that age.

Re: Re: How much do you feed?

I'm using the Iams puppy for large breed. She looks okay...not too skinny. But she is so hungry with the 2x a day feeding & such a little amount. I just want to do what is best for her. The Iams recommendation on the bag would be closer to 3 cups a day.

Should I just up it to 3x a day feedings?

She show bred.

Thanks for your response. I think I'll switch to 3x day.

So at what point can I switch back to 2x a day?

Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: How much do you feed?

I have an 11 week old pup and she is fed 3 cups per day (1 cup each feeding). I will be transistioning her over in the next few weeks to just 2 feeding per day.

Rough guidelines at best, because puppies and circumstances are different. When ours go home they are typically eating 3 cups per day, split into 3 feedings. We tell people who are not able to be home for a mid-day feeding (if they can pass screening in spite of that) to still feed 3 cups but each feeding then would be 1.5 cups. And we still get questions after the puppy goes home. That's all right, though - it's the way we want it.

I feed Diamond Adult Maintenance (either regular or premium or whatever they call it.)

13 y/o collie gets 2 1/2 c. + water + 1/2 can of cheapie canned food, otherwise he goes on a hunger strike.

Each Lab, one 14 mos bitch & one 4 year dog, gets 3c once daily. The bitch is overly (some might say excessively) active and I've always had trouble keeping the boy in weight until just a few months ago.

I feed raw. My male gets about 1/2 pound of meat and bone in the morning and then about a heaping tablespoon of vegie mixture and then about 1/4 cup of tripe of a can of sardines in the evening.

Innova for large breed dogs
for my 6 month old:
1 1/4 2x a day plus low fat organic yogurt and veggies
and Volhard Endurance supplement

Re: Re: Re: How much do you feed?

error: 16 month old not 6 month old

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much do you feed?

Sadie-

What are the chances????

I feed nearly the IDENTICAL way to my 2 1/2 year old chocolate female. Just restarted the Endurance again and she is noticeably peppier. Besides the veggies, she also gets some apples and blueberries. Also, I feed her 1 cup two times a day. She is a smaller lab (59 pounds) and I'm trying to keep her that way.

But will be switching to Solid Gold Barking at the Moon soon because of minor yeasty ear issues.

"So at what point can I switch back to 2x a day?"

Everyone will have a difference of opinion but I switch to 2x/day at about 6 months of age.

I also switch to 2 X day at 6 mos. At 11 weeks they eat 3 cups a day divided into 3 feedings.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How much do you feed?

I love the Endurance my black bitche's coat has been gleaming ever since starting it about 4 mmonths ago!!