Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TVD Research Funding

Hello Labrador Enthusiasts!
Research plans for studying and defining TVD in Labrador Retrievers is about to be
funded...BY US, the Labrador community at large. Please post and share the following
information with all your Clubs and groups. Collectively, we should be able to fund this
research quickly. The National Labrador Retriever Club has made a goal of funding this
research, WITH the help of ALL the Clubs in and out of our country. We can join together,
as a unified group, and make this a reality.

You may Paypal your donation to:
NLRCMembership@bellsouth.net and mark it: TVD RESEARCH.

Please, take it upon YOURSELF to start a fundraiser within your group/club/family and help
us with this project. The below information is the latest email from Penn Vet, where the research
will take place. I responded to Meg that we WILL DO this funding and she is working on a
budget, which I will post as soon as it arrives. Thank you for your participation. Now, let's do it!

Sincerely,

Rebecca Bailey
VP/FundRaiser
www.NationalLabradorRetrieverClub.com

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: TVD research
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:40:24 -0400
To: Rebecca Bailey

Hi,
I am sending this to you because you have contacted me previously with
an interest in supporting TVD research here at Penn Vet. I am including
a brief summary as an attachment, which also includes the estimated cost
of finding the mutation and developing a mutation based test for
breeding animals. We can proceed on several levels. Currently we are
collecting data and blood for DNA production from affected dogs. We
certainly plan to continue this process so that if/when money is
available, we can proceed with the DNA based testing. If there is enough
interest in the Lab breed organizations, we can perform further testing
as money is available. Please let me know your thoughts, and we can
develop a formal budget if you believe there is enough interest.
Thanks!
m

Tricuspid valve dysplasia (TVD) in dogs is similar to Ebstein’s anomaly in humans.
Both disorders involve congenital malformations of the tricuspid valve which result
in variable degrees of tricuspid valve regurgitation (TR). Dogs with the most severe
TR or tricuspid stenosis will typically develop right-sided congestive heart failure
within the first few years of life. The pathogenesis of tricuspid valve malformation
is largely unknown. Many dogs are only mild to moderately affected, and are not
identified until after they have become breeding animals. Labrador Retrievers, in
particular, seem to be predisposed to TVD. A previous study evaluated several kindreds
of Labrador retrievers, and determined, through clinical cardiology examinations,
pedigree analysis, and genetic analysis, that TVD is inherited as an autosomal dominant
trait with incomplete penetrance. Genetic analysis of dogs in the same study mapped a
susceptibility locus to canine chromosome 9 (CFA9). It is crucial to continue to examine
Labrador retriever kindreds through clinical cardiology examinations, pedigree analysis,
and genetic analysis for the future isolation of a gene or genes responsible for TVD.
Once isolated, genetic testing procedures can be developed, that will allow earlier
identification of dogs at risk for developing clinical signs, and at risk of passing
the disease to their offspring. A reliable test for identifying affected dogs not only
in Labrador Retrievers but in additional dog breeds, will allow breeders to markedly
decrease the prevalence of this often devastating congenital heart defect.

In order to further the research to find the TVD causing mutation we need:

1) Information and samples of either individual affected dogs or preferably as many
dogs as possible (affected and unaffecteds) from families with affected members. We
would ask for pedigree information, the clinical history and diagnosis and blood samples
(5 to 10 ml of EDTA blood) for DNA isolation.

2) Funds. The estimated cost for DNA isolation, initial sample analysis, and salary
support for one year would be approximately $50,000.

Re: TVD Research Funding

We will be posting a list of our contributors on
the NLRC website and in an upcoming issue of the Labrador Quarterly.

Re: TVD Research Funding

thank you Becky!

Re: Re: TVD Research Funding

I am glad to see this test in development. However, I wonder if this will end up like the Optigen test did. Lab lovers pumped thousands of dollars into the research. We were rewarded with a test that was initially so problematic that many still don't trust it. The revised test was certainly an improvement, but considering how much we (the collective we, as in Lab breeders) paid to get it here, I don't think I am alone in feeling like it is overpriced now. Any chance of you discussing this with them?

Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding

"support for one year would be approximately $50,000."

Well I don't have 50,000 to pull out of my pockets myself but I sure don't think it's an out of line price. I would love to see it happen!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding

I think this is wonderful news! Lots of small donations will add up quickly!

Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding

We can only take one step at a time. Meg and her
group are planning the research. Labrador Clubs and
enthusiasts are planning the funding. The end result
is a test to determine whether or not our dog/s carry
TVD. It's priceless.

The Optigen price to test a dam and a sire is under
$400.00...again, priceless to assure oneself that there
will be NO prcd/PRA puppies whelped from those two dogs.

People who have had ONE TVD affected dog or puppy would
probably give the entirety of the $50,000.00 if they
had it to give. As a group, we can do this...one step at a time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding/Updated link

Here is an updated link for you to forward to those
you feel would donate to the TVD Research Fund.

http://www.geocities.com/nlrc_reports/tvd_funding.html

Thank you for all the private replies and ideas. Looks
like we are getting our message out there...thank you all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding/Updated link

If sending a check, who do we make the check out to?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TVD Research Funding/Updated link

NLRC with TVD FUND in the FOR section. The address to our Treasurer is on the above link. Thank you
for asking!