Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color coat question

Hi Just wondering if you breed a Pure black (BB) to a yellow that is a YB what are the odds that she will have both colors?? I know there is a color chart somewhere but I can't find it.
TIA

Re: Color coat question

You will get all blacks -- yellow do not carry a gene for black coats.

http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

Absolutely Zero! She'll have (statistically speaking) 50% BBEE (dominant black), and 50% BBEe (black carrying yellow).

Dominant black to any color will only give you black coat colored puppies. You will need to coat color test puppies to figure out who is By, Bc etc.

Re: Re: Color coat question

Thank You for all you quick responses. That was what I was thinking but was not sure.

The way you have described your scenario is just slightly confusing. Yellows DO NOT carry black. Black is always dominant. They can carry chocolate or be a full Y (yellow). That being said there are 2 answers.

1) if you mean a full BB (black) bred to a Y(full yellow) ALL puppies will be black fur and all puppies will carry yellow. 100% is B/y (black carrying yellow)

2) if you mean a full BB (black) bred to a B/y (black carrying yellow) then the information already posted is correct and you would get BOTH BB and B/y puppies and you would have to DNA test them to find out.

Being dumb. Say it again. If I bred a chocolate to a BB. I could get the same. All black that carried chocolate. But if she carried yellow and it had never shown up before we might get something different ? Or could get 50% black and 50% black that carried chocolate ? This does confuse you.

If your bitch is BB, then even if you breed her to a dog with green with purple polka dots, you'd still get all black puppies.

Yes, you're right - I made a quick mistake. Assuming your bitch is yellow (doesn't carry chocolate), all the puppies will be black, carrying yellow. Don't know what I was thinking, other than being brain-dead from staying up with puppies - BTW, ALL black because mom is dominant black, and half these puppies carry yellow (theoretically) as dad is black, carrying yellow. With my luck, I'll keep another dominant black bitch - good thing I like black

She won't...

Re: Re: Re: Color coat question

Well that was sort of rude. I know they will all be black. My question was if it were chocolate say. Would half be BB and half be bc ? Is that what Nancy said. Or would they all be Bc ?

This was the rude. The polka dot pups.

So pure black to YB which is really just yellow because there is really no B in yellow won't result in both colors and if you bred chocolate to a BB that carries yellow you would still get all black and not something else entirely. And now for something completely different...

Try this http://www.vetgen.com/chromagene-coat-color.html. Might clear it up. Then again, maybe not.

"Yellows DO NOT carry black."

Actually yellows ARE black (or chocolate). All dogs are - then the modifications begin.

up with pups so.... IF someone is seriously asking the same type of question looking for some help.

a BB (full black) bred to a C(full chocolate) will give you ONLY black puppies AND ALL puppies will carry chocolate (B/c)

a BB bred to a C/y(chocolate carrying yellow) you would get ONLY black fur puppies but the DNA would need to be tested as some would be B/c and some would be B/yc. you would NOT get B/y

a BB bred to full Y gives you B/y
a BB bred to full C gives you B/c
a BB bred to BB gives you BB

It's when we start working with recessive genes and breed to a BB the DNA changes. (DNA always changes when you work with recessive genes)

one more thing... Yellow carrying Black. This is NOT correct. Yellow and chocolate are the 2 recessive genes, black is dominant and a recessive NEVER can carry a dominant. Recessive carries recessive or Dominant carries recessive.

The confusion to many is when you test, for example a yellow Lab, the results from Vet Gen will say "carries black" or "carries black and chocolate". I have often asked about this because it gets people so confused.

There is a web site that has a great chart for helping to understand DNA, breeding, how it works, and the combos. Not sure if we are allowed to post the name as it's a breeder??? It's a really good one though.

Always remember, if "techinically" you can get 50% this and 50% that... does NOT mean you will get it.

Numerous years ago I had a B/c bred to a B/c.. guess what we got ALL CHOCOLATE

LOLOLOL

The very first combination mention here is exactly what my question was. Thank you, Color coats.
I have been to the other links before. The first person confused me by saying you would get 50% BB. When I thought you would get all Bc from one dog BB and one dog Chocolate.

Yes, I screwed up - my eyes saw "YB" and my brain thought "BY", thus my first response, which was wrong, though the nomenclature was very wrong in the original post. Dominant black only produces black puppies, regardless of what color they are bred to, and they will carry recessive colors, depending on the other parent's color(s).

Re: Re: Re: Color coat question

"""Yellow carrying Black. This is NOT correct. Yellow and chocolate are the 2 recessive genes, black is dominant and a recessive NEVER can carry a dominant. Recessive carries recessive or Dominant carries recessive.""""

Not sure I agree with you here, CC! ALL Labradors carry two copies of the B gene, whether in the dominant "B" form or in the recessive "b" form. Chocolate is therefore recessive to black, but yellow is not strictly speaking recessive to black.

Rather, yellow is controlled by the "E" (epistatic) gene and, in its double recessive form "ee" inhibits the expression of black or chocolate coat pigment. In its dominant "EE" or "Ee" form, it allows the expression of these colours.

The genes for yellow are on a completely different chromosome than the genes for black and chocolate.

Black is dominant over chocolate. Yellow seems to be recessive to both black and chocolate because if there is only 1 yellow gene, black or chocolate will be expressed. However, if there are 2 yellow genes, black or chocolate are impossible even though the dog has those genes.

Therefore, all yellows do carry black or chocolate. Usually, yellows carry two black genes or one black and 1 chocolate. If a yellow dog carries 2 chocolate genes and no black gene, there will be pigment issues for the nose and eyes.

Having said all that, the explanation I usually use with "beginners" is to pretend that all the genes are found on the same chromosome and to pretend that yellow is recessive to black. If you are just dealing with yellows and blacks, it works fine. The model breaks down when you introduce chocolate......

JP and Coats, you are correct!!

But going back to a person just trying to learn the basics, we get way too complicated for this deep of an explination (JMO) Had I started to talk about the things you are now mentioning, oh boy would that poor person go nuts trying to figure out what was being said.

SO much easier to learn the basics. ONCE there is a clear clear understanding of how DNA works, what bred to what gives you what, dominant/recessive (made easy to understand) THEN move forward to information you guys are giving.

JMHO

Again, technically, you are absolutely right!!

Undecided,

The nice thing about having a basic black, is that you can breed her to any color, which is nice if you don't prefer to mix yellow and chocolate. One of my old girls is a BB, and I am very happy to have a yellow line that comes from her, and a Bc daughter that does as well.

If you breed your basic black girl to a yellow boy, all of your puppies will be By.

:-)
Dian