Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smell of bird intoxicating to Lab?

I watched a show today about Brittanys. Guy said bird dogs are driven to hunt and fetch because the smell of birds is intoxicating to these dogs?

Believe it?

Re: Smell of bird intoxicating to Lab?

LOL - picturing a drunken dog staggering around the duck pond...

Intoxicate: to excite or elate to the point of enthusiasm or frenzy

Well, if labs are included under that label, it certainly doesn't phase my dogs a bit living in the house with an African grey parrot!

The only thing that causes them to act the least bit "intoxicated" is when the bird and I are each giving them different commands... "Sit." "Down." "Sit." "Good boy!"

And what about the service dogs - they get intoxicated (no pun intended) on drugs, bombs, cadavers, people, even CDs... It's all a matter of training. It's a little different with a flushing dog like a brittany though. It's very exciting to follow that scent and have that bird burst into the air. Doesn't take much training at all for that particular light bulb to go on.

I agree with Nancy - we have had people (with show bred ) dogs come to upland days and suddenly go bonkers for a live pheasant or chukar. It is a real pleasure to watch. When that tail starts to wag a mile a minute it's so cool.

Re: Re: Smell of bird intoxicating to Lab?

"Intoxicated" is being used as a metaphor here, folks.

Cathy M.