Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Young male won't pee on lead

My friend has a young male dog, (7-8 month old Lab), that just won't urinate on lead, he will hold it for 12-18 hours rather than urinate on lead. He waits until he can't hold it anymore, and will eventually go in his crate, but never on walks on lead. He has no issues at home either in the kennel or the yard when let out to run with her other dogs. He is a nice boy, and she wants to show him, but he needs to learn to go predictably soon, so she doesn't have to worry about urinary retension.

We are thinking that maybe he is intimidated to urinate where the adult males have already gone, like an alpha thing. Will he outgrow this? Any suggestions? Experience?

Re: Young male won't pee on lead

When I first read the title, the first image that came to mind was trying to get the dog to pee right on the leash... Gotta have good aim I guess!

Take him for a longer walk - around the block or whatever. Not just in the back yard. When he does finally pee then praise him. It might be that getting corrected in the house caused him to associate the correction with the human rather than the location.

When he starts lifting his leg more often (when he's more mature) he'll pee on all kinds of things.

Re: Re: Young male won't pee on lead

Funny: I got the same image! I'm always saying to the girls, "Don't pee on your leash!"

But seriously, I agree; he will eventually come around. I remember our dear Will having this "problem." We would take him skiing with us and he would go all day without making yellow snow; we were beside ourselves! When I asked around, the more experienced would tell me, "Enjoy it while it lasts. He'll soon be peeing on everything." They were right. Good luck! ~ Nancy

This happens when the dog is exercised only in the back yard or in an off leash area. This is extremely annoying when I take a co-owned dog to a weekend of shows and I can't get it to go.

I tell my puppy buyers to make sure they walk the dog on leash to teach it to go. If the dog is hospitalized it has to go on leash. This could be important to the health of the dog.

Sorry about the unintended image I gave you all LOL She doesn't want him to pee directly ON the leash...

She just wants him to go. She tried to get him to go by longer walks around the nieghborhood, showing him where other dogs have just pee'd etc... He seriously held it for over 18 hours at a show recently. That cannot be good for him. I figured that it would be better once he starts lifting his leg and marking everything, but what to do in the meantime!

I had a girl who won't pee on a leash. What worked is to walk her into water - even a little puddle and she'd suddenly pee!!

If he's reliably peeing in one or two specific places and times in his own yard, his owner should have him on lead then and over-praise him when the deed is done. First thing in the morning is usually the best time. It may take a few times before he gets the message. I have some bitches that will only potty on concrete or in their paddock areas. If they're going to pet homes it may take a few days in different areas before they understand it's okay to potty elsewhere. I agree with the others that once your boy matures a bit, quite the opposite will happen. He'll be looking to mark every bush, tree, fence post, etc.

Could you not condition him to pee while on leash?

Begin simply by putting a collar (choke or flat) on and let him in the yard to pee. A few times, means he can graduate from step 1.

Then add a light line that he can drag. When he pees a few time, call that step 2 success.

Then a heavier one (to the weight you would use when walking). When he pees with that a few times, step 3 was successful.

Then follow him while he's out in the yard, trailing a step or two behind like if you were walking him. A few pees, then that's step 4 success.

Next pick up the leash (but no tension) and let him pee a few times, that's step 5 success.

Now take him to the front yard on leash. A few pees, step 6 success.

If he begins to forget or refuses at any time the process, take a step back and work back up to where he refused, hopefully he will breeze through that challenge.

I would also suggest a "potty" word. Something that is ONLY said when he is actually going potty, not just to refer to the action. "Hurry Up," "Go Potty," etc. would be good. When he pees, say the word and good boy every time - maybe even a cookie. Then he will start going on command - or at least attempting to go on command!

Hopefully this is the kind of advice you are looking for instead of the just wait and see. I know its a lot of work, but I think it may be better in the long run.

Good luck.

EA

I agree with the above poster. It may be a pain in the short term, but in the long run, I think it may work....

I have a bitch who will hold it for over 24 hours before she will go on a lead.

Wow! Give that dog some water. I learned my lesson, I will train my next puppy to pee while on a leash.