Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nature's Variety Instinct for Puppies

What is your opinion for feeding Nature's Variety Instinct grain free kibble to a 12 week old puppy. I have my adult dogs on it and the puppy wants to eat their kibble versus her Innova large Breed puppy formula. Here are the ingredients. I am concerned there is too much protein and calcium for a puppy.

Healthy, Natural Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, Menhaden Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Chicken Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove.

Instinct Chicken Meal Formula for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 42.0%
Crude Fat (min) 22.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.2%
Moisture (max) 10.0%

Calories
490 per cup

Other Nutritional Data
Calcium (min): 2.49%
Phosphorus (min): 1.43%
Vitamin E (min): 128.6 IU/kg
Vitamin C* (min): 50 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min): 3.61%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min): 0.69%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Vitamins
Carotene: 8.29 mg/kg
Vitamin A: 21318 IU/kg
Vitamin D: 2433 IU/kg
Vitamin E: 128.6 IU/kg
Vitamin K: 0.75 mg/kg
Ascorbic Acid: 50 mg/kg
Thiamine: 19.25 mg/kg
Riboflavin: 12.25 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid: 23.27 mg/kg
Biotin: 0.608 mg/kg
Folic Acid: 0.675 mg/kg
Choline: 5868 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 0.236 mg/kg
Vitamin B6 4.4 mg/kg
Niacin: 79.87 mg/kg
Iodine: 5.5 mg/kg

Minerals
Sodium: 0.389%
Potassium: 0.878%
Chloride: 0.688%
Magnesium: 0.142%
Sulfur: 0.383%
Manganese: 33.6 mg/kg
Iron: 333.8 mg/kg
Copper: 25.86 mg/kg
Zinc: 277.1 mg/kg
Selenium: 0.794 mg/kg

Amino Acids
Methionine-Cystine: 1.384%
Methionine: 0.91%
Cystine: 0.474%
Lysine: 2.98%
Tryptophan: 0.48%
Threonine: 2.11%
Isoleucine: 1.866%
Histidine: 1.031%
Valine: 2.104%
Leucine: 3.596%
Arginine: 2.665%
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine: 1.95%
Taurine: 0.085%

Re: Nature's Variety Instinct for Puppies

NV's instinct has too high levels of calcium for puppies. Look at Orijen or Timberwolf Organics (Wild and Natural or Ocean Blue) for puppy friendly levels of calcium in a grain free food.

That being said, I have a friend who has grown her last two lab puppies on Innova Evo (~3% calcium) without any issues...so who knows

Re: Re: Nature's Variety Instinct for Puppies

You can switch to the NV Rabbit grain free...the Ca content is only 1.4%
GO Natural grain free kibble also has a more reasonable Ca content of 1.8%

Feeding different foods requires each dog eating their own food, NOT the others. Feeding each dog in a separate place or their crate makes that much easier.

So what does to much calcium do to a puppy? And how much is to much? My litter last year I fed natures variety chicken and rice.

There is Natures Variety Prarie chicken and rice which is fine for a growing pup.

The NV Instinct chick formula is 2.49% and too hi in calcium until pup is one year old or basically at their adult weight.

The Rabbit formula for NVI is listed on their site at 1.12% calcium and would be fine for a growing pup.

I am not concerned with the hi protein for growing pups in this day and age. Know breeders feeding Orijen to weaned and growing pups and they are developing just fine. I keep in touch with them in my research for decision on what to feed my next litter.

I'm now feeding the NVI chick and considering the rabbit for my next litter.

Re: Re: Nature's Variety Instinct for Puppies

I feed NVI Chicken to my adults, but when my pups arrive, I'm torn about what they should get. Chicken has 2.49% calcium, Turkey & Duck has 2.26% and the Rabbit has 1.89%. There's only a .60% difference between the Rabbit and the Chicken. Is that really significant?

Wondering, seeing your post me to go back and look at the NV site and your right its showing 1.82% on the rabbit.

Last week it was 1.12% (maybe a typo on the site initially) I know a rep for the company so I am going to ask her opinion on the 1.82% for growing pups.

I'll post when I get a response.

Remember, it's the "dry matter basis" (DMB) that is used for comparison, so that number will always be higher than what is listed "as fed".

Scatching my head over why anyone would feed a "unique protein" food like rabbit to a puppy though... I'd save that one for later, if God forbid, allergies set in.

I understand how you feel about possible allergies.

I would prefer chick for pups but am seriously considering grain free for my next litter and this is the lowest calcium I found: when site originally said 1.12%

Now it says 1.89% - but checking with Mfg. co.

Oops 1.82%

I recently talked to a nutritionist who felt that the calcium level for puppies should be no more than 1.0 %

I have since changed to a puppy food that I hadn't used before (Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy) because it lists calcium at 0.9 %

She told me that too much calcium disturbs the hormone levels that control the way the cartilage/bone develops, at least that is how I remember it. Maybe someone could comment on that.

Mel, did you mean less than 1.0%? As you are now feeding a 0.9% calcium food.

She said that studies have shown 0.9 to 1.0 would be the best level of calcium.

Sorry Mel.

I missed the "no" more and thought it said more than 1.0

Got it this time