Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy waterer

I have a litter right now that seems to prefer their water dish as a toy- or maybe someone likes to sleep on a cool wet surface. These pups are in the lower floor of my house with vinyl flooring, so the wet conditions aren't as much of a problem as that they never have water more than about 5 minutes after I give it to them. I am using one of those waterers that are wide at the base so that they are hard to tip. It would be harder to tip if I put more water in it, but then the flooding conditions would also be severe. I have tried the water cooler type waterers in the past, and they have gotten torn up. Can anyone recommend a puppyproof waterer? (And yes, they do have other toys.)

Re: Puppy waterer

I found one at PetCo I think. It is like a giant guinea pig bottle, meant to hang on the outside of chain link. Just the metal nipple sticks through.

It took the pups maybe a day to figure it out. Keeps them dry, water always available, and they can't get hold of it to destroy it.

MK

I would love to know if anyone else has solved this problem too

I end up just giving it to them several times a day, only as much as they will drink...otherwise the bedding ends up wet and the flooding is too much for me!

A couple of years ago I had the same problem and ended up going to a feed store and buying a chicken waterer. It basically looks like a metal pie pan with an upside down bucket sitting on top (about 12 inches tall). The water feeds into the pan as the puppies drink. Worked great for me!

Johanne

Re: Re: Puppy waterer

I had one like that, but it was plastic and therefore chewable. I'll check out both of the suggestions. Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Puppy waterer

I use the metal chicken waterer, also. My big concern with the hot weather is them dumping their water dish. It works great.

for those that use the chix waterer? can't that be tipped over or do you secure it to a fence etc?

great thread, love the ideas!!

THANKS

The water in mine seemed to be enough to hold it down. I guess if the puppies were older and/or drank a lot of water before it was refilled tipping over could be a problem. If that were the case I would just wrap a piece of chain around it and secure it to a fence or post with clips.

Johanne

My pups have never tipped it over. It's big enough and heavy enough to stay put.

How big is your chicken waterer? I found some plastic 3 & 5 gallon ones in the Farmtek catalog - I am thinking that either of those would be heavy enough not to tip. I would like to find a metal onethough. If anyone has a link to anyplace that might have them I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

I Think the one I have is a 2 gallon galvanized. Try tractorsupply.com or countrymax.com, or an agway. Any feed store should have them.

Thanks Gail - I will try Agway first - there is one right doown the street! I should have been able to come up with that!! LOL!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy waterer

Here's a website with a picture:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/large_galvanized_waterers.html

Johanne

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy waterer

Here is what NOT to use, the nice thick plastic dog waterer that your husband decides to retro-fit with a 5 gallon water cooler jug, works great for a moment and then one puppy figures out that as you splash all the water out of the bowl "VIOLA" like magic more appears!!!! fast forward to 5 gallons of water flooding the floor.
Husband decides to replace adult dogs water bowl with his new contraption, only problem is it makes that Glug,Glug sound as the water refills and the air bubbles travel up the cooler jug and your poor little Jack Russell Briar is too afraid to drink out of that noisy beast that Glugs at her when she takes a drink.

I still have it somewhere in storage, didn't have the heart to throw it out...

Petoria.com has something called a "Buddy Bowl" which is a small-holed bowl with lots of margin space around it. It holds 1/2 liter, and comes in many, many cool colors. It is puppy-proof; they cannot dig water out, and they cannot drown in it!
Here's the link: http://www.petoria.com/display_test.aspx?main=0&cat_id=131

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy waterer

Yep -- I have both of these problems. The "digger" is my five month old puppy -- water everywhere before I discovered what she was doing. The "scardy cat" is my 4 year old black male -- won't go anywhere near it!

But what would we do without this type of entertainment?!?!

Johanne

I've used the Buddy bowl, and it works pretty well, but is a bit hard to open and clean, and they do get food, etc. in it so it does need cleaning.

I'm not wild about using plastic, but I haven't found a better solution. I'm not sure I'd want to use galvanized metal though.

JMO>

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Petoria.com has something called a "Buddy Bowl" which is a small-holed bowl with lots of margin space around it. It holds 1/2 liter, and comes in many, many cool colors. It is puppy-proof; they cannot dig water out, and they cannot drown in it!
Here's the link: http://www.petoria.com/display_test.aspx?main=0&cat_id=131