Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
raising a singleton.....pros and cons

I know this has been discussed numerous times, but we are expecting our first singleton litter next weekend. He/she will arrive via c-section. I have heard so many different stories about if you don't find a litter to socialize the pup will never be normal. There is also the possibility of it being a swimmer.....which I know can be corrected. I may want to keep this puppy if it is show quality, but others say don't bother. The pedigree is stellar...mom is a great mom and I am willing to do what it takes to make sure this pup gets all she needs. Any advice or suggestions?
Shelley

Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

I'm not sure why anyone would tell you not to bother keeping a singleton puppy if it turns out to be a good one. There is no reasoning to that.

An only child is easy and fun. Keep the whelping box filled with stuffed toys, and use egg crate foam or snake towels under the bedding to create hills and valleys for the puppy to climb over. When he's sleeping, try to see that he's resting on his side or leaning against one of the toys. Socializing is not difficult. My singleton(s) have much more freedom than a whole litter simply because of the difference in work and cleanup. They'll play with the big dogs in a supervised area with no trouble at all provided the adult dogs are happy with the arrangement. The puppy may practically housetrain itself just because of all the attention he/she'll get.

Why have you already decided on a c-section? That may not be necessary. Mine have delivered naturally.

Don't worry. Enjoy the fun. You'll love the experience.

Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

I feel there are a lot of pros and cons, it can be a lot of fun yet as time consuming for you, the breeder as with a large litter.

An example: There is no one to push the pup to eat as hardy as a litter will at feeding age. She is alone at her feeding bowl so you may have to entice her. Then again, she may be a good eater on her own without littermates to prompt her.

She may not neccesarily be a swimmer, I think that is a falacy. I would watch her just as you would watch any other pup not to always rest on her tummy or get too chubby. There are other reasons for swimmers. Also, you should make sure the flooring is good as you would do for a larger litter so alot of things are the same if she has siblings. Many suggestions have been on here regarding flooring in the past if you look for what you can use for that.

I've been told many times that some singletons have been THE VERY BEST show dogs. I am sure you will hear stories about it. Some of the well known show dog and labs were singletons.

Enjoy your puppy, she will bring you a great amount of joy and possibly the same amount of work. [;|]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I know this has been discussed numerous times, but we are expecting our first singleton litter next weekend. He/she will arrive via c-section. I have heard so many different stories about if you don't find a litter to socialize the pup will never be normal. There is also the possibility of it being a swimmer.....which I know can be corrected. I may want to keep this puppy if it is show quality, but others say don't bother. The pedigree is stellar...mom is a great mom and I am willing to do what it takes to make sure this pup gets all she needs. Any advice or suggestions?
Shelley

Re: Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

The two singletons i've had were keepers and they did not socialize with other peoples pups at all, in fact the second singleton I had I did have another litter at the time a week older than her and tried to put her in with the other litter and she would have none of that, she screamed bloody murder so I kept her by herself with her mom and she is one smart girl and very affectionate, they end up being special as they are very loyal to the owners because they get all the attention and don't have to share it with others. Both of my singletons were NOT swimmers and I never stopped them from free nursing but I have had swimmers from large litters and they are usually the lightest ones in the litter not the heaviest.
Good luck with your new pup, enjoy him/her it is so easy to raise a singleton!
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

Thank you for all your positive words. I already planned on keeping this pup.....especially if he/she is an improvement on the last generation. After all isn't that why we breed?
As for the c-section. In this bitches last litter she had 12 puppies by c-section. She was in hard labour for 2 days and on day 63 the vet said to take them now or risk Momma's life and or the entire litter. Also I just wanted to say that not all said it was bad....just very worried about the whole litter social development phase. I will keep you posted as to what we get!

Shelley

Re: Re: Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

My pup was fine. Not a swimmer (just don't up mother food at all, she will just make a little milk.) I did put lots of toy in the box. She was spoiled, but had older dogs to play with. Was and is fine. Took her out for puppy obedience and some showing. No problem at all. She was not a C section. So not sure about that. Have fun they are great.

Re: Re: Re: Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

Ditto what Southland Breeder says on singletons. Mine is the best pup I've produced yet, old enough now to be bred herself. As a pup, she had a couple of instances of raising her hackles at dogs in the show ring or at ringside who crowded her, but she never snapped or lunged--not sure whether this was misplaced protectiveness or her lack of confidence. It was quickly corrected and now she is fine in a crowd of strange dogs anywhere. And she is a firm but gentle puppy trainer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: raising a singleton.....pros and cons

You might not need the C-section. With a litter of 12 there an be Uterine Inertia due to the sheer size of the litter....so this might not happen at all with the singleton. Best be prepared, but I would wait for natural whelping first.